none
FTP Receive Not Working RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a FTP receive location that does not receive files..  Once in a while one is received.   The FTP Server is a windows server, yet the SYST command returns UNIX.    The FTP Send ports I have work fine..  

Here is a log of an FTP session..  where 2 files are to be received..

Does anyone know how to resolve this?   I think it has to do with the fact, the SYST command returns UNIX.

220 XXXXXXX X2 WS_FTP Server 7.1(36063750)
    > USER MyUser
    < 331 Enter password
    > PASS xxxx
    < 230 User logged in
    > PWD
    < 257 "/Customer" is current directory
    > SYST
    < 215 UNIX
    > PWD
    < 257 "/Customer" is current directory
    > CWD edi/out
    < 250 Command CWD succeed
    > PWD
    < 257 "/Customer/edi/out" is current directory
    > TYPE A
    < 200 Transfer mode set to ASCII
    > PASV
    < 227 Entering Passive Mode (74,63,130,146,3,222).
    > LIST PO_*.*
    < 125 Transferring directory
    < -rwxr-x---  1 Customer    System          193 Jun 24 08:29 PO_OV_217XXX.txt
    < -rwxr-x---  1 Customer    System          247 Jun 24 09:14 PO_OV_217XXX.txt
    < 226 Transfer completed
    > TYPE A
    > PASV
    > RETR PO_OV_217XXX.txt
    < 550 File PO_OV_217XXX.txt not found
    > TYPE A
    > PASV
    > RETR PO_OV_217XXX.txt
    < 550 File PO_OV_217XXX.txt not found
    > QUIT
    < 221 bye

Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:56 PM

All replies

• Are you sure it's a biztalk problem and not on ftp server side? Did you try to download the file with the same credentials using a ftp client?
    If you like my post or consider it as a valid answer, please use the buttons to show me - Oliver

http://biztalk.hauth.me

Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:30 PM
  • Hi,

A SYST request asks for information about the server's operating system. The server accepts this request with code 215. So some responses would be like
    this depending on the servers:
    215 UNIX Type: L8
    215 NetWare system type.
    215 MACOS Peter's Server
    215 AmigaOS

The above does not specify that in your case (so that is strange!). One test you can do is to try and open IE browser to the ftp site, if you can't open it using IE, which is basically the way Biztalk is using it, then you going to have problems when recieve adapter trys to pick it up. Usually its permissions on the ftp server, that don't have read, write, delete, and all three are required because Biztalk does a destructive read (cut and paste, not copy and paste).

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MCTS BizTalk Server
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:41 PM
  • Hi Steef-Jan,

Thanks for the suggestion.   I used IE to browse the FTP site with no problems and can get files.

Today, the FTP Receive process is running fine, no errors..  I don't understand why the process is intermittent.   I do have other FTP Send ports using the same FTP Server and account.. Could that have something to do with it?

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Friday, June 25, 2010 6:06 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Good your process is running fine again. I do not have any insight/knowlegde that multiple FTP SDend Ports using the same FTP Server and account could cause that behaviour. So I am sorry I cannot help in that area.

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers    
    MCTS BizTalk Server
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Friday, June 25, 2010 6:13 PM
  • Hey Steve,

Somethings I can notice from the log is that,

1. LIST output contains files with same name.
    2. They both have different sizes and timestamps.
    3. Server is of type WS_FTP.

From the log it seems like the adapter is behaving normally. Please check the server settings again and if needed contact their support.

Thanks,
    Anand B
    BizTalk - MSFT

Monday, June 28, 2010 9:09 PM
  • I thought he changed to filenames to have more anonymous data?

Have you tried to download the files with a FTP client? Use passive mode as the adapter also uses passive mode, maybe there is a problem (IE could use active mode, not quite sure atm).

Or can you set up a native windows ftp server via IIS and have to root of the ftp on the same directory like your current ftp server? Just to test if everything is fine.

If you like my post or consider it as a valid answer, please use the buttons to show me - Oliver

http://biztalk.hauth.me

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:30 AM