Clarifications on Certification requirements for Windows apps "3.1 Your app must use only APIs for Metro style apps"

Question

• Hi,

I've been reading the Certification requirements for Windows apps in this document:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694083.aspx

And I have some question about 3.1, it says "3.1 Your app must use only APIs for Metro style apps"

Is this "only" totally restrictive? Say for instance that i have an existing web app that i want to port. I do XHR using a library (say jQuery or Google Closure Library in my case). If i want to port my webapp to a Metro app, should i use WinJS.xhr instead or can i keep using my library for that?

Same goes for DOM manipulation.

Could i get some clarifications about it and how restrictive this rule is? Can i use external JS libraries freely or that would get me rejected from the Windows Store?

Thanks,

Fabien

Friday, May 25, 2012 9:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Fabien,

jQuery is not a library in the sense of APIs.  It is a collection of functions that use APIs in the scripting engine.  Yes you can use jQuery (in fact serveral Metro style apps do.

This is talking about APIs like the Win32 APIs that are not part of WinRT. 

The WACK tool will automatically test for this so a good idea is run your app through this tool before submitting to the store!

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Friday, May 25, 2012 12:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Fabien,

jQuery is not a library in the sense of APIs.  It is a collection of functions that use APIs in the scripting engine.  Yes you can use jQuery (in fact serveral Metro style apps do.

This is talking about APIs like the Win32 APIs that are not part of WinRT. 

The WACK tool will automatically test for this so a good idea is run your app through this tool before submitting to the store!

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Friday, May 25, 2012 12:01 PM
  • that's what i thought, just wanted to make sure

Thanks for the quick answer!

Fabien

Friday, May 25, 2012 12:03 PM