Best way to do Segment Clipping in SQL Server 2014 RRS feed

• Question

• I need a method or function to clip a segment from a start point to a certain distance on a geography. oracle has this as DynSeg and in sql server 2008, there was a spatial tools that offered the function LocateAlongGeog, which was close, but didn't create a new geography from the section between the start point and extrapolated end point on the geography. Is there a way to do this easily in sql server 2014 or 2016? Also, I am trying to make a case to use sql server over oracle for spatial applications and I'd like to know if there are any feature like this dynseg that aren't readily available in sql server?   

thanks!

Monday, July 11, 2016 1:58 AM

Answers

• Hi PTodd2,

Based on my research, LocateAlongGeog is included in SQL Server Spatial Tool which is a third-party tool. In this case I would say you may need to develop some CLR user defined function for it. Correct me if I’m wrong, is this the function you are looking for? In the meantime, I would suggest you review BOL for the method you could use for SQL Geography.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 5:44 AM

All replies

• Hi PTodd2,

Based on my research, LocateAlongGeog is included in SQL Server Spatial Tool which is a third-party tool. In this case I would say you may need to develop some CLR user defined function for it. Correct me if I’m wrong, is this the function you are looking for? In the meantime, I would suggest you review BOL for the method you could use for SQL Geography.

Regards,
    Lin

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 5:44 AM
  • Hi PTodd2,

I’m writing to follow up with you on this post. Was the problem resolved? If you issue has resolved, I’d like to mark this issue as "Answered". Please also feel free to unmark the issue, with any new findings or concerns you may have.

Regards,
    Lin

Monday, July 25, 2016 2:23 AM