Bluetooth Serial Port Protocol in WinRT

Question

• I use a Samsung Ativ Smart PC convertible tablet/laptop and develop 'Metro' apps using Javascript/HTML/CSS. One app I am working on is for marine navigation and requires location data, but this device does not have built-in GPS. It does, though, have Bluetooth and I want to use data from a Bluetooth GPS receiver (there are hundreds of these available at very low prices and they can be placed in a good location for satellite visibility and have their own batteries, saving power drain on a tablet) but these transmit NMEA format data over Bluetooth Serial Port Protocol (SPP) and there is no obvious way to use this in the Windows Store Apps APIs. One solution might be to listen to the device and to fire location events which could be used via the geolocation API. Failing this, if I could use SPP it would be easy to extract latitude, longitude and timestamps from the NMEA data. I have been doing this with apps for Palm devices and mobile phones (using Java ME) for years and cannot believe it should be so difficult using the newest Microsoft OS, but other threads suggest many other developers are having similar problems.
    Monday, January 07, 2013 9:34 AM

Answers

• So far, not support this requirement.

One Microsoft.

• Marked as answer by Song Tian Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:25 AM
    Tuesday, January 08, 2013 2:29 PM

All replies

• So far, not support this requirement.

One Microsoft.

• Marked as answer by Song Tian Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:25 AM
    Tuesday, January 08, 2013 2:29 PM
  • Another good application for Windows tablets would be in construction, for building and land surveys. Laser distance measuring devices, theodolites, etc. can communicate data by Bluetooth to apps on tablets which would collect the data and, for example, draw a survey plan as measurements and commands from the survey device arrived (I know because I wrote such an app for mobile phones used with Leica instruments). ARM-based Windows RT tablets, with their lower cost and longer battery life, would be ideal for these tasks, but are useless unless Serial Port Protocol via Bluetooth is supported. Microsoft, can this requirement not be recognised? As it is, such app development will be forced away from Windows towards Android and Apple tablets.
    Wednesday, January 09, 2013 10:06 AM
  • I had gathered it is not supported, but are there plans to add it into the API and if not why is such an obviously useful feature being left out?
    Friday, January 11, 2013 9:59 AM
  • So any/all Bluetooth communication is not supported?? Even when I can pair to a device within PC Settings?
    Friday, January 11, 2013 3:20 PM