none
MSDN Licensing Production Vs Development RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to get a clear answer on what exactly is meant by production in the following scenario. I'm assuming many shops have this scenario and I wondered if it falls under "Production" or "Development". You have a few developers who code something and then it is sent out to the clients. They start getting weird errors, so you bring back enough info to replicate it, and you have to run through code, it might or might not require a code change. Say the developers have MSDN licenses, would they also need retail licenses, since running something through code is not specifically developing? It seems this point is not very clear, and if it is indeed production then you could not use MSDN licenses, and would be better off just buying retail licenses for Visual Studio. 

Thanks

John

Friday, September 2, 2011 2:52 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your question John.  I dont understand what you mean by 'run through code', could you be more specific?  

MSDN Subscription License covers Development and Testing efforts, and it sounds like Testing might cover the scenario you're describing.  The license is intended to distinguish between scenarios where, for example, companies are taking copies of Windows Server and SQL Server they receive through MSDN Subscriptions and using those copies to run their company's web servers to operate the company's business, and scenarios where a company's developers are developing a software product or service that they intend to make money off of. 

Please review our help page on licensing, and if necessary, the "Full Details" link at the bottom of that page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/cc150618.aspx, and let me know if you have any questions on specific parts of it.

Thanks,
    Mike 

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!
    Friday, September 2, 2011 6:11 PM