none
Without updating WCF Service Reference RRS feed

• Question

• We developed a WCF service and worked perfectly. The application contains service reference and abc information is in app.config already. It is the production setting in the code.

Now for some reason, the service has been added other methods and it was moved to a test server temporarily. After it passes the test, it will be still deployed to the original url.

The usually way to test it is to update the service reference and change the end point in app.config etc. However I have to check in the code to TFS for other peer to test it, therefore the test server reference will be checked in as well. Of course, to deploy the application we will update service again to make sure the correct url is checked in.

Now I am thinking to keep the original service reference unchanged and test the new function of the updated service. For the endpoint I have the idea via using slowcheetah slowcheetah to transform values in my debug config. But how about the updated reference? Do I need to update the service reference mandatory? I want to avoid it and seek a new way.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:14 PM

Answers

• I your existing client has is not using new methods of newly developed service and also there is no change in input and output of existing method (method contract)then technically  there is no need to update service references in client application

Ashwini

Friday, January 3, 2014 2:01 AM
  • Sorry for late reply , unfortunately answer is yes ,

If you are publishing a new method in your service and client wants to use it then you must have to update the service reference 

• Marked as answer by ardmore Monday, January 13, 2014 1:39 PM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 4:54 AM

All replies

• I your existing client has is not using new methods of newly developed service and also there is no change in input and output of existing method (method contract)then technically  there is no need to update service references in client application

Ashwini

Friday, January 3, 2014 2:01 AM
  • The thing is one of new method will be added in client application. So I have to update service reference?
    Friday, January 3, 2014 1:31 PM
  • Sorry for late reply , unfortunately answer is yes ,

If you are publishing a new method in your service and client wants to use it then you must have to update the service reference 

• Marked as answer by ardmore Monday, January 13, 2014 1:39 PM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 4:54 AM