none
Root element is missing

Question

• Hi everyone

Currently Visual Studio 2015 is installed on my computer with Xamarin. Everything works fine, except I am unable to create a new blank Universal Windows app. Every time I want to create such a project in my solution the error message "Root element is missing" pops up...

What could be the problem? FYI uninstalling and reinstalling VS2015 does not do anything.

Saturday, December 31, 2016 1:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Stefaan.Avonds,

Does this issue occurs after installing Xamarin and whether this issue only occurs when create UWP app?

If this issue only occurs when creating UWP app, I suggest you restore the VS default project templates with command "devenv /installvstemplates".

In addition, please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio. We need to check whether there has any component loading failed causes this issue, which could help confirm the specific component need to reinstall/repair.

Since you have reinstall the VS2015 but the problem still exists, do you clear all Visual Studio installation folder before reinstalling? If not, please clear all Visual Studio 2015 related folder and then reinstall it. If the problem still exists, please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the VS and .Net Frameowrk installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017 5:35 AM