Where do the RSS files come from? RRS feed

• Question

• User-455686249 posted

I'm trying to release someone elses SSRS work (having no knowledge of SSRS) and having looked at previous releases there seem to be a load of .rss files, one for each report.  I've got the solution with the .rptproj file and a load of .rdl and .rdl.data files but no .rss files in it.  I also have a script for deploying that I'm trying to use which points to the .rss files.  Only thing I don't have is the .rss files.  Do they get generated somehow?  Do I have to write them?  What are they anyway?

In case it's useful, this is the script I'm hoping to use for deployment.

SET /P ServerURL=Enter Report Server URL^>
    SET LOGFILE="RS Scripter Load Log.txt"
    SET SCRIPTLOCATION=
    SET BACKUPLOCATION=
    SET REPORTSERVER=%ServerURL%
    SET RS="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\RS.EXE"
    SET TIMEOUT=60

::Clear Log file
    IF EXIST %logfile% DEL %logfile%

::Write Log Header
    ECHO Reporting Services Scripter Load Log 2.0.0.17 >>%LOGFILE%
    ECHO. >>%LOGFILE%
    ECHO Starting Load at %DATE% %TIME% >>%LOGFILE%
    ECHO SCRIPTLOCATION = %SCRIPTLOCATION% >>%LOGFILE%
    ECHO REPORTSERVER   = %REPORTSERVER% >>%LOGFILE%
    ECHO BACKUPLOCATION = %BACKUPLOCATION% >>%LOGFILE%
    ECHO SCRIPTLEVEL    = SQL2005 >>%LOGFILE%
    ECHO TIMEOUT        = %TIMEOUT% >>%LOGFILE%
    ECHO RS             = %RS% >>%LOGFILE%
    ECHO. >>%LOGFILE%

::Run Scripts

ECHO Running script "%SCRIPTLOCATION%Data Sources\Data Sources.fldr.rss" >>%LOGFILE%
    %RS% -i "%SCRIPTLOCATION%Data Sources\Data Sources.fldr.rss" -s %REPORTSERVER% -l %TIMEOUT% -v BACKUPLOCATION="%BACKUPLOCATION%" >>%LOGFILE% 2>&1
    ECHO. >>%LOGFILE%

ECHO Running script "%SCRIPTLOCATION%GCPortalReports\GCPortalReports.fldr.rss" >>%LOGFILE%
    %RS% -i "%SCRIPTLOCATION%GCPortalReports\GCPortalReports.fldr.rss" -s %REPORTSERVER% -l %TIMEOUT% -v BACKUPLOCATION="%BACKUPLOCATION%" >>%LOGFILE% 2>&1
    ECHO. >>%LOGFILE%

ECHO Running script "%SCRIPTLOCATION%Data Sources\RegulatoryReturns.rds.rss" >>%LOGFILE%
    %RS% -i "%SCRIPTLOCATION%Data Sources\RegulatoryReturns.rds.rss" -s %REPORTSERVER% -l %TIMEOUT% -v BACKUPLOCATION="%BACKUPLOCATION%" >>%LOGFILE% 2>&1
    ECHO. >>%LOGFILE%

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Friday, September 30, 2011 7:14 AM

Answers

• User-455686249 posted

Thanks for the reply, but I've just found what I was looking for.  RS Scripter is a small application that seems to generate them all from the report server.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 9:36 AM

All replies

• User-718146471 posted

As far as I know, Report Server builds them on-the-fly based upon the XSLT (xml template) files that take the data and format the output to XML files. Then from my understanding, the reports read those dynamic XML files to render the results.

Friday, September 30, 2011 9:18 AM
  • User-455686249 posted

Thanks for the reply, but I've just found what I was looking for.  RS Scripter is a small application that seems to generate them all from the report server.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 9:36 AM