.net for Windows Store Apps Vs Windows Foundation Vs Windows Runtime

Question

• My understanding is that Windows Runtime components (WinMD) are developed to support clients in multiple programming languages like javascript and C#.

I have few qns:

1. Should I not be creating Windows Runtime components if C# is the only target language. Am I right?

1. Doesn't .net for Windows Store apps support WinMD?

2. Does Windows Foundation needed only for Windows Runtime (WinMD)?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, February 10, 2014 4:44 PM

Answers

• The Windows Runtime is the interface between applications and the Windows OS. It is used by all Windows Store apps and is projected into different languages. You can think of it as the class library for Windows platform functionality.

Windows Runtime Components are a way for you to create components using the Windows Runtime.

1. If you're just writing for yourself and only targeting .Net then writing .Net components is a good choice.

2. Yes. You can use Windows Runtime Components from a .Net for Windows Store app.

3. Windows.Foundation includes important functionality for the Windows Runtime as a whole, not just for Windows Runtime Components.

See
    Creating Windows Runtime components
    Windows.Foundation

There were a number of talks at //build 2011 which go over the essential concepts and architecture. While some of the details have changed since then, the overall concepts are the same. You can watch these at http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/BUILD2011

--Rob

--Rob

Monday, February 10, 2014 5:00 PM

All replies

• The Windows Runtime is the interface between applications and the Windows OS. It is used by all Windows Store apps and is projected into different languages. You can think of it as the class library for Windows platform functionality.

Windows Runtime Components are a way for you to create components using the Windows Runtime.

1. If you're just writing for yourself and only targeting .Net then writing .Net components is a good choice.

2. Yes. You can use Windows Runtime Components from a .Net for Windows Store app.

3. Windows.Foundation includes important functionality for the Windows Runtime as a whole, not just for Windows Runtime Components.

See
    Creating Windows Runtime components
    Windows.Foundation

There were a number of talks at //build 2011 which go over the essential concepts and architecture. While some of the details have changed since then, the overall concepts are the same. You can watch these at http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/BUILD2011

--Rob

--Rob

Monday, February 10, 2014 5:00 PM
  • Thank you Rob.
    Monday, February 10, 2014 5:28 PM