none
Approval hierarchy is in another system RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working on workflow approval system. In my system user approval hierarchy is maintained in another system. Please guide me how i can use another system to get approval hierarchy and assigned task. What requirements and permissions are required in order to complete workflow approval in SharePoint 2013.

Thanks

iffi

Monday, April 10, 2017 10:17 AM

All replies

• Hi iffi,

What I understand is, you have two systems(maybe two different SharePoint farm?), you want to design an approval workflow in one system, to let users participate in this approval process in another system.

If this is the case, how about developing the workflow in the other system directly? Then the approval hierarchy there should be able to applied to this workflow.

Best regards,

Patrick 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 2:42 AM
  • Hi,

we have two system (One is SharePoint for approval process - ONLY ONE SHAREPOINT FARM) and another .Net Application which just maintain employee information like employee ID, department, joining date and manager etc.

when user submit request i have to check and get his manager details from .Net Application. 

I hope you get my requirement. kindly advise how to go about developing this.

Thx

iffi

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 5:28 AM
  • Hi iffi,

Two options in such scenario:

1, sync the user info into SharePoint via the User Profile Service, then the approval hierarchy can have a copy on the SharePoint side, which can used directly in SharePoint workflow;

About how to import data from external data source:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee721049.aspx

2, sync the user info to a SharePoint list(might need some custom code), then when developing this workflow, we can get a user’s manager by querying this list;

Best regards,

Patrick 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 7:58 AM
  • Hi iffi,

Just want to know if my reply is helpful to you?

Best regards,

Patrick

Thursday, April 13, 2017 3:01 AM
  • Hi,

sync the user info into SharePoint via the User Profile Service from external system, pls guide me more
    in this what are requirements permission needs to be setup on external system to get user profile.

What if user information are stored in SQL Server table, so how we sync that with sharepoint using UPS.

thx

iffi

Thursday, April 13, 2017 3:16 AM
  • Hi iffi,

Please go through the link provided in my previous reply, it should give you more details about this requirement.

Best regards,

Patrick

Friday, April 14, 2017 3:10 AM