none
Windows Device Driver Development for Desktop and Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to develop a  Device Driver for Windows Desktop,windows 7 is running on that PC.

I am new to Windows Desktop Driver Development.

Can any one please suggest me the exact way to approach my goal.

I have already installed Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Desktop and WDK 8.1,so i want to start with sample driver development  and test the same if any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.....

Thanks & Regards,

Shaik.

Mujeeb Shaik

Thursday, November 20, 2014 6:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• see my response in https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/f613df0d-2928-4166-9f74-d10b42f91125/virtual-joystick-devices?forum=wdk

pg - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 6:55 AM
  • Everything you need can be found in the WDK docs, but if you want to get up to speed quickly, then take a class

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:28 AM
  • Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for your reply...

I have created demo Driver and built successfully i have added some Debug messages in that,

i want to test my demo driver without connecting some other(Target)PC ,in my Host PC itself  can you  suggest me the way to test as i requested.

Thanks & Regards,

Mujeeb Shaik

Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:45 AM
  • unlike app development, we don't recommend nor support deploying a test driver on the machine you are developing on. It is a two machine workflow with the second machine being the one where you install and run the driver. Furthermore, you cannot run the kernel debugger locally against the local machine, so to debug you need two machines. the second machine can be a VM, not a physical machine

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 5:29 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply Doron Holan,

If i have second PC also how to establish communication between both the PCs what is the Media between the both the PCs can you exactly tell me how to connect the both the PCs, so that i can make a setup and test my Driver.

Thanks & Regards,

Mujeeb Shaik

Friday, November 21, 2014 5:05 AM
  • if win8 and above you can use a select set of network cards on the machine under test to enable net debugging. for win7 and earlier, your best bet is 1394/firewire. otherwise a null modem cable over serial.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 21, 2014 6:05 AM
  • now i have the virtual PC setup in my PC ,So can u please guide me the way to deploy the driver in Virtual PC and through which media it will be transfer to virtual PC and related Settings for that,so that i can test my driver.

Thanks & Regards,

Mujeeb Shaik

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 6:10 AM
  • virtual PC is a toy. use hyper VM instead if you want a reliable VM. either way you can set up a network share between the VM and host in the VM config can copy files that way.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

I have Sample Wdfserial Driver  project which is given in WDK samples,i want to test that Driver, i am following the steps Deploy the Driver files manually(which is given in driver description file,file is present respective driver directory) instead of using through the Visual Studio,after that i am checking the details of respective Driver properties in test PC,but driver file is showing old one only,is there some thing i am missing please let me know.any suggestion highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Thanks & Regards,

Mujeeb Shaik

Thursday, November 27, 2014 7:36 AM