Using debugger with custom warehouse adapter RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone enlighten me regarding the proper techniques to use that will allow me to step through code in a custom warehouse adapter?  I'm not clear on what process to attach to.  Who loads the adapters?
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 3:01 PM

Answers

• My educated guess would be it's the IIS host process for the TFS application pool (w3wp.exe if I am not mistaken) who loads the adapters. To double-check, run inetmgr.exe and see which application pool the WarehouseController.asmx web service belongs to.

You'll need to force a warehouse update to have your adapter loaded and executed, see this blog post on how to do that:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/alanh/archive/2008/05/12/some-helpful-administrative-operations.aspx

Also, consider covering the adapter code with unit tests. Use mocking techniques to isolate all the business logic so you can test it without having to load the adapter inside the TFS server process.

P.S. Another known "gotcha" is that you don't need to re-create the schema every time - always check if the dimensions/facts you are about to create already exist in the schema. Perhaps you already know about it but just in case... may save you some time and hair (otherwise pulled) :)
    Please mark the post as an answer if it does solve the problem. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Bill.Wang Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:37 AM
    Monday, November 24, 2008 4:53 PM