none
Is ASP.net solution faster than VB.net solution? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a difference of opinion with my client over the application architecture that will run on intranet and not on internet.

Which one of the solutions will be faster – a web application in ASP.net or a windows application VB.net application?

If possible please also give me some technical points to support your argument.
    Sunday, October 21, 2007 10:00 AM

All replies

•  

Vikas,

The first technical point is that apple != orange

Also I think your question is web app vs. local "fat client" app given the asp.net could of course be vb.net and of course both compile into the same thing  You'll need to provide a little more detail for the question to begin to be meaningful, for example using an intentionally contrived scenario to illustrate, it could be that "the app" needs to execute *lots* of flops and there's a near-supercomputer powerful web farm and only an old, slow user desktop base or conversely "the app" is mostly "local" UI and if needed there's a quantum connection to the intranet farm, etc.  Also it's not likely that "faster" is the only architectural concern  Also assuming that the performances differences aren't drastic either way doesn't your client get to get what they want (i.e., an intranet site is quite literally a different "product" than a fat client)?

Monday, October 22, 2007 4:19 AM
  •  

I totally agree, we need more details. If this is Web Client vs Fat Client, the you also have the following issues you need to consider:

1. Ease of deploying the application across the whole organization

2. Ease of maintaining the application

3.Application performance

4. Application security

If you provide us with more details we will be able to provide a more accurate answer.

Monday, October 22, 2007 4:33 PM
  • Vikas

I agree, comparing ASP.NET to VB.NET is like comparing oranges to apples. I can use VB.NET to create an ASP.NET application; however, I cannot use ASP.NET to create a VB.NET application. The best solution to solve the problem could be both technologies, but ultimately it depends on all (functional, operational, technical, business, etc.,) requirements in order to design a solution that will solve the business problem. More information is defiantly needed.

Monday, October 22, 2007 6:05 PM