Fix for certain Metro apps not working, look here!!

General discussion

• Edited this because "SonofNun" had the right solution.

Make sure you are using a "Msn, Hotmail or Live" email.

But, I'd like to add that they are sort of wrong "Microsoft" when they say you can use "Xbox" created email account.

I used gmail as account for Windows 8 and had apps problems.

Read more below.

• Edited by michaeljfig Friday, September 16, 2011 1:39 AM Change a bit of information.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:22 AM

All replies

• I believe the apps not working has something to do with the live ID. What happened for me was, when I installed Windows 8, I didn't have an internet connection yet, So I created a local account. The apps worked then. However, when I added my live ID to my user account, the apps stopped working.

Here is how I got them working again. First, I created a new user, then I logged off of my first user. Then I logged in to my new user, then deleted the first user. Then I created another new user, this time using my live ID. Then I logged out of the second user, and into the new user, then finished by deleting the second user. I know it seems like a lot of work, but it is probably better than reinstalling the whole OS. Though, I am not sure that my fix will fix it for everyone.

I hope this helps,

Joshua

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:28 AM
  • Wait, I remember now... I used a different email before that was used for Xbox (gmail). Second time I used Hotmail and you're right. Thats what made it work.

But I didn't create a new "hotmail" "live" or "msn" account. It was my account from like 8 years ago.

So, just make sure to use one of those emails above and it should work.

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:35 AM
  • I can use most apps fine its just the News one that sits on a grey screen with "Loading..." on multiple installations of the Developer Preview. My brother can use it just fine with his account, and my email is @hotmail.com and was created via the website. 
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:01 AM
  • Mine is a Gmail account and all my apps work.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:04 AM
  • Wait, I remember now... I used a different email before that was used for Xbox (gmail). Second time I used Hotmail and you're right. Thats what made it work.

But I didn't create a new "hotmail" "live" or "msn" account. It was my account from like 8 years ago.

So, just make sure to use one of those emails above and it should work.

Mine is a live ID created using my gmail address. It worked the first time I installed Windows 8 without the dev tools, then I created the account from the beginning with my live ID. The second time I tried to install Windows 8, this time with the dev tools, was when I had a problem, I think because I didn't start with the live ID account, and instead started with a local account.

So the problem (for me anyways) seems to be with starting with a local account, then trying to switch it to a live ID account.

I hope this helps,

Joshua

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:37 PM
  • So I need to use windows live id? I tried using gmail account but didn't worked.. >.<
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:15 PM
  • im using my gmail account  and everything is fine here
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:29 PM
  • This is NOT the solution for my problem, I have a correct resolution (1440 x 900) and a local account, but apps still don't work (I just get the loading screen and then just a green screen that leads me back to the Start screen)... I suspect that when I had an issue with Windows yesterday and after it did lots of restarts and repairs, it deleted the apps or damaged them, but still, I need all the possible solutions to this because I haven't got to try all the apps...

Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:28 PM
  • Yeah, same here. I think they stopped working when i enabled .Net Framework 3.5 for installing certain softwares. Can't think of any other major change.
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 9:08 PM