none
How to show hot path with inclusive and exclusive samples

Question

• Sorry for this rudimentary question.  The VS2015 profiler does not show the hot path with inclusive and exclusive samples.  Instead, it shows something like the following:

Could anyone offer a tip on how to show the hot path?

Hong

Monday, February 27, 2017 12:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Hong,

Thank you for your update.

Refer to your screenshot, we can know that Performance Wizard/Explorer is not available to Windows Universal/Store project, you can also check this: Profiling Tools and go to the part ‘Which Tool Should I Use?’ to confirm this information, it only provide for Windows desktop and ASP.NET projects.

After confirmed with our UWP support engineer, since the mechanism of UWP is different with windows desktop, and they often use the existing diagnostic tools to analysis the project.

BTW, I found some tools for profiling and performance and you can have a look, to see if it is helpful for your requirement or not.

If you still want the performance wizard for UWP project, please go to VS IDE UserVoice and report this suggestion, then waiting for the feedback from the VS Product Team, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Hong (MA, USA) Wednesday, March 01, 2017 3:11 AM
    Wednesday, March 01, 2017 2:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Hong,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I tried to follow the document that you shared and I can found the hot path, please make sure you checked the option 'Performance Wizard' not the 'CPU Usage' as below:

When you finish running the application, the Summary view of the profiling data appears in the main Visual Studio windows and you can find the hot path like the following screenshot:

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 6:04 AM
  • Thanks a lot for looking into this, Sara.

Could you tell me how to make Performance Wizard available for this Windows 8.1/Windows Phone 8.1 Universal App project?  The following is what get from VS2015:

Hong

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 12:01 PM
  • Hi Hong,

Thank you for your update.

Refer to your screenshot, we can know that Performance Wizard/Explorer is not available to Windows Universal/Store project, you can also check this: Profiling Tools and go to the part ‘Which Tool Should I Use?’ to confirm this information, it only provide for Windows desktop and ASP.NET projects.

After confirmed with our UWP support engineer, since the mechanism of UWP is different with windows desktop, and they often use the existing diagnostic tools to analysis the project.

BTW, I found some tools for profiling and performance and you can have a look, to see if it is helpful for your requirement or not.

If you still want the performance wizard for UWP project, please go to VS IDE UserVoice and report this suggestion, then waiting for the feedback from the VS Product Team, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Hong (MA, USA) Wednesday, March 01, 2017 3:11 AM
    Wednesday, March 01, 2017 2:48 AM
  • Thank you for the clarification and tips,Sara.

In this case, it may be easier by just adding Stopwatch to the code to identify time consuming parts.

Hong

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 3:18 AM