In Design or Split View, cannot use backspace button on keyboard RRS feed

• Question

• This seems like an odd problem, but when using the Design or Split View for Expression 4, my backspace key does not work.  If I navigate to the code view, it does, but not on the design interface.

Any idea why?  I never realized how much I need the backspace until it went away?

I am using Expression Web 4.0.1165.0

--Juliane

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 2:39 PM

All replies

• No idea. I cannot duplicate this behavior. Backspace works as expected in both design and code view. Sounds as if it might be idiosyncratic to your machine (i.e. not an EW issue).

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Julianne, I think this is an EW issue because I've seen EW4 get into that state on a number of occasions. But I have not seen it with Split View because I rarely, if ever, use it. I've seen situations where switching between design and code view causes keyboard problems in design view.

Unfortunately, I can't duplicate it on demand so I have not bothered to report it. Hopeully the editor is getting a rework in EW5 or EW6, so I'm just living with it for now.

Exiting and relaunching EW has always cleared the problem.

Will
    Baltimore, MD USA - www.fastie.com
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 7:25 PM
  • Will,

Maybe you and Julianne shuold compare hardware configurations. I've never experienced the issue you are talking about.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Maybe you and Julianne shuold compare hardware configurations. I've never experienced the issue you are talking about.

I'm hoping some of these weird things I've experienced with the keyboad in particular but also with the mouse locking up from time to time will vanish when I finally accomplish my Win7 upgrade. I'm still in XP Pro, of course.

The problems have happened outside EW, but only after EW has been run, whether it is still running or not.

Will
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 7:56 PM
  • I hope it's not too late (It's only been 2 1/2 years!) but I have the answer.

I was having the same problem (delete key didn't work either) so I thought I'd see if I had the problem with other pages. I did not.

Then I tried it at the very beginning of the page that had the problem and it worked fine. Then I kept trying it until it no longer worked, and it turned out that I had a <table> tag immediately followed by <p> and some text... I had forgotten the <tr><td> tags. DUH... When I put them in, backspace worked just fine.

So, my guess is that there is a coding problem on your page and that's why backspace doesn't work.

By this time you are no doubt way past the problem, but thought I'd post it here in case someone else had the problem.

Monday, May 26, 2014 10:50 PM
  • Dave, I've not experienced the problem since I started using Win 7 several years back.

In any event, I have coding "errors" on a page all the time while I am writing code. It's inevitable because code is always incomplete until it's not. I can't recall ever seeing a situation in which the incompleteness of the code caused any keystroke or mouse click not to work properly.

Will

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:37 AM