Bing Maps REST Services: Which encoding for address parameters of Locations API (geocoding) ? RRS feed

• Question

• I wonder what the right encoding for german umlaute in a REST geocoding query is. I get different results from browsers and from code. Example:

http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Locations?&locality=Friedrichshafen&addressLine=Länderöschstr.72&c=de&countryRegion=Deutschland&o=xml&key=BingMapsKey

Adding my key and pasting this to Firefox the street within the URL is changed to L%E4nder%F6schstr.72 and I get a medium confidence (UpHierarchy) hit for "<FormattedAddress>Friedrichshafen, BW, Deutschland</FormattedAddress>".

Pasting the same URL to IE8, I get the exact geocode with high confidence (<FormattedAddress>Länderöschstraße 72, 88046 Friedrichshafen</FormattedAddress>). [Which obviously demonstrates the superiority of IE :-) ]

From code (VBA, using WinINet-APIs InternetOpenA, InternetOpenUrlA, HttpQueryInfoA), I send the encoded or unencoded string but always get the inaccurate result. I can change the umlaute to their "ASCII-representation", i.E. Laenderoeschstr. 72 and get exact results. But I don't want to do that because it's wrong somehow.

Question: How do I encode the Länderöschstraße to get excact results using REST services?

Thanks Karsten

• Moved by Ricky_Brundritt Saturday, March 10, 2012 12:50 PM (From:Bing Maps: Map Control and Web services Development)
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:43 PM

Answers

All replies