none
SQL Server Configuration Manager IP Settings for several IPs and Instances

Question

• Our SQL Server has currently 2 named instances. The Machine has one IP Address.

Each Instance has a fixed Portnumber (first Instance 1441, second 1442) configured in the SQL Server Configuration Manager under IPAll / TCP-Port. This works fine.

While preparing the Server to work with DNS Aliases, it has now two additional IP Addresses.

The first Instance should be reached by the old IP Address and Port 1441 and additionally by the first of the new IPs and Port 1433.
    The second Instance should be reached by the old IP Address and Port 1442 and additionally by the second of the new IPs and Port 1433.

What do I have to change in the SQL Server Configuration Manager?

I think I should reset the settings (first Instance) for IPAll and set the Port for IP1 (old IP Address) to 1441 and set the Port for IP6 (first new IP Address) to 1433.

For the second Instance I should reset the settings (first Instance) for IPAll and set the Port for IP1 (old IP Address) to 1442 and set the Port for IP6 (second new IP Address) to 1433.

But how do I configure the other IPs available (IP2, IP3, IP4, IP5)?

How do I configure for example the IP3 for the loopback (127.0.0.1)? (values for active / enabled dynamic tcp-ports / tcp-port ???)

How do I configure for example the IP5, I don’t know what kind of IP this is. It looks like a combination of IPv4 and IPv6 address ending with %15???

Thank you.

Kind regards
    Oliver.
    Friday, April 7, 2017 12:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Oliver-T,

If I understand this correctly:

>>For first/second instances on old/new ip address

Please follow the instructions here to modify your network settings. Make sure you’ve turn off ‘Listen All’ and clear ‘IPALL’ settings.

>>How do I configure for example the IP3 for the loopback (127.0.0.1)?

I suppose you’d have to make sure your instances listening on different ports for 127.0.0.1.

>>How do I configure for example the IP5, I don’t know what kind of IP this is. It looks like a combination of IPv4 and IPv6 address ending with %15???

That’s an ISATAP address. I suppose you are safe to disable it unless you are using IPv6. Also make sure you consult with your network administrator before making this change.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 10, 2017 3:32 AM
  • Hi Lin,

I've been on holiday and wasn't able to test it so far.
    Thank you very much for your answer.

Kind regards
    Oliver.

Monday, April 24, 2017 2:02 PM