"We detected some suspicious activity with your Online Id account. To help protect you, we've temporarily blocked your account. " RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Please can I have some assistance in diagnosing the cause of this error message using the Live SDK 5.2 preview on Windows 8 metro style application.

I'm really unsure how to proceed!
    The app seems correctly registered on https://manage.dev.live.com/

Thanks

Paul

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:44 AM

Answers

• Nikita,

Thank you for sharing the details. I only see this issue if I run a project written in JS. I am not able to repro this on C#. Are you able to repro this with the sample app (e.g. ApiExplorer)installed with the Live SDK? You can find the sample: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Live\v5.0\Samples\MetroXAMLSamples.zip  If you can't repro this with the sample app, could you share some snippet of your app?

Regarding your second question, you may consider to not to use the sign-in control and create LiveAuthClient instance only when you need it. The LiveAuthClient has InitializeAsync method that allows you to check current user authentication status.

Thanks,

Lin

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul, are you seeing this only with the 5.2 application, or are you seeing a "blocked account" error when you try to sign in to other services with that Live ID as well?
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:09 PM
  • Hey

It's only with the 5.2

To be honest I'm actually about to transition to using the Windows 8 WebAuthenticationBroker class as I've finally got that working instead (+ the AuthenticationToken is actually returned with that, which I never had with the Live 5.2 (was always null)).

If you'd like me to test anything then I don't mind reinstating the live 5.2 code though.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:18 PM
  • I have same issue too:

We detected some suspicious activity with your Online Id account. To help protect you, we've temporarily blocked your account. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8086000C)

My setup\configuration:

My account continue works fine for all other areas: Windows Live web applications  - Hotmail, SkyDrive, Office apps; my Windows Phone; and even Windows 8 own Metro style apps like Mail and SkyDrive have no problems.

How can I proceed with research\explore\test Live API for .NET\C# Metro style apps ???

Monday, June 25, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Hi,

Do you see this error when you run outside of VS?

The error looks related to that the user has revoked consent. Is this the case?

If true, you can ignore the error. Logging in the user again, your app should continue to work.

As I know, the VS has an issue that over react to an error caught at async handling code.

Thanks,

Lin 

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:20 PM
  • No difference between run outside\inside Visual Studio.

Thanks for tip on consent and "double" sign-in. I solved my issue, but Live SDK libraries definitely requires some fixes.

To reproduce issue and workaround see steps and research results below:

1. Metro style app (.NET\C# flavor) should run under Windows account based on Windows Live ID (aka Microsoft account)
    2. For such setup\app Live SDK library attempts to automatically sign-in as soon as SignInButton control appears on page\form. User even doesn't need to press the button.
    3. If consent for Metro app was already acquired by some way before this run, then specified sequence works fine.
    4. But if no consent for app yet, then sign-in sequence fail with "We detected some suspicious activity..." exception instead show consent UI.
    5. Attempt to sign-in by pressing SignInButton after first failure works correctly and display standard consent UI.

Live SDK libraries requires fix for step 4 behavior. Automatic no user interaction sign-in for Metro style app without consent should display consent UI instead throw strange exception.

Another issue I think should be fixed is a lack of control of a moment of time the automatic sign-in occurred. Some applications, especially mobile and occasionally connected, definitely requires the initiation of the automatic sign-in only after some specific user interaction or in a specific moment of time defined by some background task. Linking the initiation of the automatic sign-in with a simple creation of some UI(!) control is a very frustrating and strange scheme.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:55 PM
  • Nikita,

Thank you for sharing the details. I only see this issue if I run a project written in JS. I am not able to repro this on C#. Are you able to repro this with the sample app (e.g. ApiExplorer)installed with the Live SDK? You can find the sample: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Live\v5.0\Samples\MetroXAMLSamples.zip  If you can't repro this with the sample app, could you share some snippet of your app?

Regarding your second question, you may consider to not to use the sign-in control and create LiveAuthClient instance only when you need it. The LiveAuthClient has InitializeAsync method that allows you to check current user authentication status.

Thanks,

Lin

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:13 PM