Network Monitor Agent - Remote capture RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a NM Agent with NM v. 3.3?

Can NM GUI v. 3.3 connect to a remote computer which has NM Agent installed?

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 9:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Siegbert,

This functionality isn't supported in 3.x.

NM Agent is pretty old and was part of the 2.x series of Network Monitor (and is probably non-functional on Vista and above).  3.x was a complete rewrite. 

The only component that the 3.x series of Network Monitor which is still compatible is loading a Netmon 2.x capture.  All other programming interfaces and functionality were rewritten.

We are aware that this is a useful scenario, but currently the only solution would to be remote in to the box or somehow trigger nmcap remotely.  There is no mechanism in our UI to remotely connect to a machine though.

If you want to describe your scenario more, I'll make note of is as we plan more for the future.

Thanks,
    Michael Hawker | Program Manager | Network Monitor
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 9:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Siegbert,

This functionality isn't supported in 3.x.

NM Agent is pretty old and was part of the 2.x series of Network Monitor (and is probably non-functional on Vista and above).  3.x was a complete rewrite. 

The only component that the 3.x series of Network Monitor which is still compatible is loading a Netmon 2.x capture.  All other programming interfaces and functionality were rewritten.

We are aware that this is a useful scenario, but currently the only solution would to be remote in to the box or somehow trigger nmcap remotely.  There is no mechanism in our UI to remotely connect to a machine though.

If you want to describe your scenario more, I'll make note of is as we plan more for the future.

Thanks,
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 9:44 PM
  • Well, I'd just say amost everything is different.  3.x was pretty much rewritten from scratch.  Other than the capture driver in XP and Win2003, everything else is new.  There are some similarities as they maintain most of the same capabilties.  However, filtering, parsers, API, and UI have all changed significantly.

Paul

Monday, July 12, 2010 3:31 PM
  • Michael,

I would also like to request an option for remote monitoring.  With today's use of layer-2 switches and routers, it is much harder to be able to do a permiscuous monitor, much less monitor traffic in a remote segment.

Ideally, we would be able to centralize the receipt of network captures on a single machine.  The resultant display would show all of the traces on the central machine intermixed by time code.

Consider the following problem:

Client computer in LA is trying to talk to a mid-tier server in Texas which then talks to the back-end server in St. Louis.  All through VPNs.  I would like to be able to see the packet(s) that the client sends / recieves, compare them to the packet(s) that the mid-tier server receives / sends, and compare them to the packet(s) that the back-end server receives / sends.

Thanks,

Jesse Tutterrow

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:53 AM
  • Jesse, thanks for your scenario.  This is very helpful for us as we plan the next version.  We are considering this particular scenario and understand it's very important for the IT professional. 

I do want to point out that there are some complexities.  For instance, unless clocks are in perfect sync down to a microsec, corelating logs by time with precession might not be possible.  On 1gig networks, this could means 10,000 frames off in terms of matching frames that occured at the same time.  Hopefully we can provide other means of correlating the network traffic, perhaps by the content or some other correlation ID.

Also, flying back data live is problematic because you'd be transmitting the data you just captured.  So obvoiusly this would have to be done in an offline manner after the trace is completed. 

But we are still working to provide a solution in this arena and have already created some other scenarios and thought about the design in this area.  If there are other factors you want us to consider, please feel free to comment on them here.

Thanks,

Paul

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:53 PM
  • Paul's pretty much summed it up, but we do have this same info in our product help under the "Migrating from Network Monitor 2.1" and "Coexistence with Network Monitor 2.1" topics.

Friday, August 20, 2010 5:15 PM