none
Licence

Question

• Hello, please help me in something.

First of all sorry for my english. 

I would like to make a program with visual studio 2015. 

Which version do I need to use, for commerical type. I would like to sell my program, or I would like to make it for free ( or a corporation use my program). 

Now I use Community version, but i think it is not enough for it. So which version support it ? 

Thank you so much!

Wednesday, January 04, 2017 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hi!

You'll find the difference between all visual studios versions in this link : https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/compare/

But personnaly, Visual Studio Community is largely enough to do it because you're alone, you don't have a big team and you can sell your program after.

hope that my explanations are good and sorry if my english is bad :).

Hope it wil be useful.

If it's good for you, can you mark this answer as answer of your question please?

Follow me on twitter : https://twitter.com/NordineMhoumadi

Please remember to close your threads by marking helpful posts as answer and then start a new thread if you have a new question. Please don't ask several questions in the same thread. SVP utiliser le Marquer comme reponse; sur les reponses qui vous aide car cela permet aux personnes qui peuvent rencontrer le meme probleme que vous, de retrouver rapidement quelle est la reponse qui a resolu leur probleme. De plus, cela encourage aussi la personne qui a repondu a votre question, et de repondre aux suivantes...

Wednesday, January 04, 2017 3:47 PM
  • Hi Richardhun,

Welcome to the MSND forum.

>> Now I use Community version, but i think it is not enough for it. So which version support it? 

Does the community version already meet the development requirement of your program? If so, you can continue using the community version in business. For commercial, please download the Visual Studio 2015 Licensing White Paper and have a look at Visual Studio Community 2015 – Who can use the Software, then you will find the following message:

*** Individual developers

Any individual developer can use Visual Studio Community, to create their own free or paid apps.

*** Organizations

• An unlimited number of users within an organization can use Visual Studio Community for the following scenarios: in a classroom learning environment, for academic research, or for contributing to open source projects.
    • For all other usage scenarios: In non-enterprise organizations up to 5 users can use Visual Studio Community. In enterprise organizations (meaning those with >250 PCs or > $1M in annual revenue) no use is permitted for employees as well as contractors beyond the open source, academic research and classroom learning environment scenarios described above.

If you are an individual developer, you can use the community version to develop apps to sell, if not, please follow the rule of organizations.

If the VS community 2015 includes features cannot meet your requirement, like Nordine MHOUMADI said, you check the Compare Visual Studio 2015 Offerings and choose the appropriate version like professional or enterprise. BTW, they are all paid, not free like the VS community version.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 05, 2017 2:16 AM
  • ohh i understand it. 

For example if I work at a big corporation, but I create an application at home (alone) to use it to help the users job at corporation, then it is possible, because I am an individual developer and does not matter the number of users or annual revenue of corp. (corporation type: production, not progammer or developer)  

Sorry but this is first time, when I try to use my english knowledge, and I would like to understand exactly everything.  

Thank you so much for the fast replies and for your helps.

• Edited by Richardhun Thursday, January 05, 2017 6:59 AM
    Thursday, January 05, 2017 6:58 AM
  • could you help me if i explain my situation?

I work at a corporation (over 1million$, production type, so not developer corp), I would like to create an application for 4 users to help their job at this corporation. Is it possible to create the app with vs community 2015 ? Is it free? 

Thank you so much for your help.

Thursday, January 05, 2017 7:25 AM
  • Hi Richardhun,

Thank you for your update and your description is very clear, do not worry about your English.

>>For example if I work at a big corporation, but I create an application at home (alone) to use it to help the users job at corporation, then it is possible, because I am an individual developer and does not matter the number of users or annual revenue of corp. (corporation type: production, not programmer or developer)  

As far as I understand, the answer is 'No', you cannot use the community version to develop your program for your colleagues, since you are not a individual developer, you are an employer of a big corporation (an enterprise organization). In your scenario, you can only develop the programs for the purpose of the open source, academic research and classroom learning environment scenarios described above.

***In enterprise organizations (meaning those with >250 PCs or > $1M in annual revenue) no use is permitted for employees as well as contractors beyond the open source, academic research and classroom learning environment scenarios described above.

Best regards,

Sara 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 05, 2017 7:59 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with Sara. Even when you develop the tool at home, it will still be work for that company. So I don't think that the license would allow it. But to be sure, you should ask a local lawyer to get a more secure way.

But Microsoft offers a free version of Visual Studio for enterprises, too: It is called Visual Studio Express. This version is more limited so you cannot get addons installed. And the features are split into multiple versions so there are 3 versions: One for web, one for UWP and one for classic desktop. You can find them at https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-express/

But I would recommend to asky our employer for a Visual Studio Professional license. They are not that expensive and it is really worth the money. (Maybe even ask for a Visual Studio Subscription which has a yearly cost but comes with a lot of licenses which you might need to test your software!) Also be aware: If your company used Windows, then maybe they have an open license. Then they could get the license even cheaper.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, January 05, 2017 8:11 AM
  • I am a beginner in development, so first of all I would like to use the free version of VS if it is possible. If my created application would be helpful for users I will buy a the professional version to create better apps. But now I do not know my skills, and now the simple VS is enough for me. 

The Express version is possible to use in this situation ? 

Thank you so much and sorry for my lot of questions.

• Edited by Richardhun Thursday, January 05, 2017 9:28 AM
    Thursday, January 05, 2017 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

the express edition could be used for commercial use. I was unable to find the license of express on the web right now, but in the past Microsoft had a FAQ in which this was clearly written.

(e.g. see https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f280e5b7-f17a-4984-9b08-28c5449b6417/can-visual-studio-express-be-used-for-commercial-purposes?forum=Vsexpressinstall)

But I was thinking about your case a little more. If the application is just used inside the company, then just start it as an open source project. You could put it under the MIT or BSD license - which more or less does not have a real impact. Or you could put it under the GPL which means, that you have to give users access to the source when you give the application away. In such a case you could simply put a zip file with the sources next to the binary.

All this has no real impact as long as the company only uses the application and does not hand it over to a customer.

And later when you get a commercial version of Visual Studio, you can change the license agreement.

But be aware: this trick is ok at the beginning only! Once you develop a real product or it should be used outside the company, this is only a good way if the company want to have it as open source (Including publishing it e.g. on codeplex, github, sourceforge or some other platform). 

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, January 05, 2017 10:30 AM
  • okay thank you very much. Now I understand it, but it is too complicated. I am very sad, I think I try HTML or JAVA language.

Thanks a lot.

Thursday, January 05, 2017 2:04 PM
  • Hi Richardhun,

Since you are an employee of a big enterprise organization, so there have some restrictions about the license, sorry for this inconvenience.

BTW, if you think Konrad's reply is helpful for your question, you can mark it as answer, it will help other community members who have the same or similar issue to easier search this useful information, thank you for your support.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Friday, January 06, 2017 1:30 AM
  • I am Richardhun...

Nothing problem I understand everything and it is okay. I am a beginner so I have to learn more before I start a real develpoing process :) Thank you for all help, I am thankful and happy to see the fást answers for my problem. 5 starts for help.

Sorry for mark of answer, I can not login to my original account, beacause my account has been suspended after my comment yesterday :( I really dont know why.... :D But I mark answer to your comment.

Really thanks for your help, and thanks for all other users too, everybody was very helpful.

• Edited by Brianoff Friday, January 06, 2017 8:25 AM
    Friday, January 06, 2017 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

wondering why your account might be suspended - hope you get that solved soon.

Regarding the complexity: I have problems to understand why everything is to complicated and what is more easy on Java (or HTML which I asume means HTML with CSS and Javascript which is also supported in Visual Studio for development of UWP or cross platform mobile development). 

Finding an IDE sometimes seems complicated but even that point is quite easy on .Net development because right now there is not really a choice. On Windows you take an edition of Visual Studio and you could directly grab the express edition and start cording. (If you do not use .Net, it mostly goes to MonoDevelop / Xamarin Studio.)

I did some Java development in the past, too. And it is even more complicated in that area because you have to choose an IDE from a big range. What do you want to use? IntelliJ? Which edition? Eclipse? Netbeans? .... What build system do you want to use? Ant? Maven? IDE internal solutions? All has advantages and disadvantages.

But it is ok. Do as you think that it fits for you. Or even better: Look around and see if you know someone who is doing some development already and who can help you! That will be best for a beginner.

There are no "correct" or "wrong" choices. So just choose what you think is best for you. In case of Visual Studio / .Net: You will find a lot of kind people in the forums here who would like to help you if you run into any issues.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Friday, January 06, 2017 9:09 AM