Microsoft Security Essentials License RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if MSE is licensed for use on Windows Embedded Standard 7 devices that we will ship?

Regards, Neil.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:24 PM

All replies

• It used to be MSE wasn't supported, but the latest version appears to install perfectly. You might want to contact a MS distributor to get more information.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 11:49 PM
  • According to EULA contents, there are some right should observe. If you operate the small business, the up to ten(10) devices can install MSE.

Of course, MSE can be nstalled on WES7. But it doesn't guarantee it can work well because the supported OS only Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

Here the EULA link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-eula

Thursday, August 14, 2014 3:25 AM
  • If your image is a WS7P then you can include that windows defender thing.

However, anything that requires updates isn't really going to play nice with EWF, so I use McAfee Solidifier. (Customer required something, they got that, it's not that bad a performance hit.)

=^x^=

Thursday, August 14, 2014 3:32 AM
  • From what I can tell WES7 is supported and it installs and appears to run ok. Not sure about the 10 devices limit as these are devices we distribute. 

I don't have and MS contact, can anyone recommend a way to get a definitive answer from Microsoft?

Thursday, August 14, 2014 6:10 AM
  • If your image isn't  WS7P  then you should go hide under a rock because you aren't licensed to use it in that fashion. Check the EULA, really.

Remember, supported and runs is not the same as contractually allowed to...

If you have an OEM CLA, then you can contact your distributor, that is their job.

=^x^=

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:36 AM