debug/release toolbar option disapered RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I just reinstalled VS 2008 and can't seem to find the the toolbar option that enable the selection wheather I want to build a debug version or a release version, anyone know where that option is?

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:11 PM

Answers

• Hi

I found the options under tools-build-commands and just droped the 2 options I looked for in my toolbar.

Thanks for all help and suggestions.

Monday, January 28, 2008 6:32 AM

All replies

•  

As i see, doesn't exists for C#-vb .net express editions.

C++ express have enabled this boxes.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:29 PM
  • But I doesn't have the xpress edition, I have the VS 2008 pro edition.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:27 AM
  • Hello,

Based on my test, the toolbar for Debug/Release selection is in the 'Standard' toolbar of Visual Studio 2008. Would you help to see if the 'Standard' toolbar exists in your side by right clicking on tool bar panel and choose 'Standard'?

If you do not find the Debug/Release selection list in the 'Standard' toolbar, would you click on the arrow on the right side of the toolbar -> "Add or Remove buttons" -> check the 'Solution Configuration'?

If it still does not work, would you try to reset all the Visual Settings by:

1. click on the Tools menu.

2. click on "Imports and exports settings..."

3. choose 'reset all settings' in the "Imports and Exports settings wizard" dialog.

4. then choose "Visual C# development setting" or "Visual Basic ..." in the next page.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jialiang Ge

Friday, January 25, 2008 9:43 AM
  • Jialiang Ge - MSFT

i believe you havn't understand the problem...

the problem is in visual C# 2008 express (and aparently in full versions too) the standard bar is showed and the 'Debug/Release' selection control too.... but the problem is that this control is always shows as disabled and always you choose
    Build > Rebuild Solution

The relese and debug version are generated,

if you choose
    Buid > Buil Solution

always is generated the debug version only.
    Friday, January 25, 2008 1:42 PM
  • Hello,

My guess is that it is because of Visual Studio configuration. Based on my test with Visual Studio 2008 Pro, the selection of "Debug"/"Release" is available on my side. Would you switch the VS setting to General profile and see if it helps?

Tools -> Import/Export Settings.

Choose Reset all settings and select the General profile.

Regards,

Jialiang Ge

Monday, January 28, 2008 6:02 AM
  • Hi

I found the options under tools-build-commands and just droped the 2 options I looked for in my toolbar.

Thanks for all help and suggestions.

Monday, January 28, 2008 6:32 AM
  • and what about
    visual C# express edition?
    Monday, January 28, 2008 1:21 PM
  • Hello,

Based on my test on VB 2008 Express edition, the selection of Debug/Release is also enabled.

Regards,

Jialiang Ge

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 5:16 AM
  • ok, but my porblem is on C# express 2008...

i have a copy installed on my house under windows vista ultimate 64 bit
    and another one in my job under window vita bussines 32 bit..

in both cases the debug/release textbox is showed as disable, and visual studio buhavior is exactly as i describe in some previous post .
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 5:32 AM
  • hello
    i realise this is an old post, but i just had the same problem Juan Carlos mentioned (C# express 2008 with Release/Debug option deisabled) and i couldn't find any help on internet.
    so i digged into VS 2008's options (Tools -> Options), checked the "show all options*" tool box and then checked the "advanced compile options*" checkbox in some of the new options that were just enabled.
    the problem was solved imediatly, so i was again able to choose between "Debug" and "Release"
    *i can't remember right now exactly what its written, but it is something like that
    Monday, June 1, 2009 7:05 PM
  • Hi,

To enable the ability to switch between Debug/Release configurations in MS Visual C# 2008 Express, you have to:

1. Go to Tools->Options;

2. Check the checkbox that says "Show all settings";

3. Under "Projects and Solutions" on the left select General, then check "Show advanced build configurations" checkbox.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 6:39 PM