What is the secret to get NFC / proximity to work on the Build tablet?

Question

• When I use the RFID card distributed at //BUILD ("tap this card on your BUILD PC") it rarely works -- but every once in a while it does  the same is true for the Proximity sample app.  Is there a secret to reset / setup the Proximity service?  I am careful to wave the card near the documented antenna location.
    +tom Cupertino, CA
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Download the Troubleshooting guide from the URL below for help with the NFC antenna.
    It is download #1 under Additional Downloads section.

http://www.samsung.com/global/buildpc/index.html

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Hi Marylin,

Thanks for the link to the troubleshooting guide.  It helped.  Powering off my system fixed the initial problem (it's surprises me that restarting the system does not do the same reset as a power fail) .  Note that when I powered on the system and ran the ProximityCS sample the app gave me just three Device Arrived/Device Departed cycles before NFC quit working again.  After it quit working the browser Share panel no longer had a share option for "Someone Nearby".  I took the system home and power failed it and NFC appears to have been working since.

Is it possible that a very noisy Bluetooth and Wi-Fi environment would cause NFC problems?  My tablet sees about 10 Wi-Fi hubs and  10-20 Bluetooth devices when I am at work.

+tom

+tom Cupertino, CA
    • Edited by tom.allen Thursday, October 27, 2011 4:15 AM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 4:13 AM
  • It could possibly be the amount and proximityof WiFi traffic that is causing issues.
    Can you test in an environment with only the two Samsung Slate tablets?
    Check that out and let us know your status.
    Marilyn
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 11:34 PM
  • Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for your help.  Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

I ran several tests today, using two Samsung tablets. 

1. I cannot consistently reproduce the NFC "service hang" when using an RFID card, but it did happen one or twice on each tablet and required a shut down to cure it.  The hang is much less frequent today than it was three weeks ago.  Using two tablets and the Proximity Metro style sample I was able to get the tablets to see each other as Peers and to publish and subscribe to messages (it was fairly hard to get this second step to work, though).  
    2. However, I never see the "someone nearby" sharing option in IE, and my proximity driver no longer has the Disable option in device manager, it only has Uninstall.  This is true on both tablets.  I'm pretty sure I saw both of those items three weeks ago.
    3. (Sorry if this is in ill-informed question; I am not a web programmer.)  Is there any sample code or documentation that shows how to access the proximity class from a page that is served by a remote server and opened in either a Metro IE browser or a Desktop IE browser?  If we want to implement "tap to upload", or "tap to pay", how does our JavaScript get to NFC?    I see that there is a JavaScript version of the Proximity app, but doesn’t this run locally?  Can web servers serve pages with JavaScript that interact with WinRT?  Thanks for any pointers; I guess this is a newbie question.

Thanks for your help.

+tom

+tom Cupertino, CA
    • Edited by tom.allen Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:41 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:39 AM