Windows Mobile 6.5 App - can't get access to keyboard / menu bar RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am porting a CE ap to Windows Mobile 6.5.  My app relies heavily on the popup keyboard.  

But in Windows Mobile 6.5 my app now hides (covers up) the Menu Bar at the bottom of the screen.

I guess I could do it this way http://stackoverflow.com/questions/697676/how-do-i-pop-up-the-keyboard-in-windows-mobile 
    But I just want the menu bar at the bottom - nice and simple.  User clicks the keypad icon when they want the keyboard (the way it used to work in CE).  I do I have to totally re-write my app for all input fields - yuck!

My App is hiding the menubar
    I want these buttons

justin

Monday, September 12, 2016 4:40 AM

Answers

• Hi justin lane,

From your description, I think it may be caused by the following reasons:

When your  CE app starts, It  may hide the taskbar and menu bar. You can refer the following link.

Windows Mobile: Hide StartButton in WinMo 6.5.x:

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best Regards,

Yohann Lu

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 7:02 AM

All replies

• Have you tried just reducing the size that your form is using?  From the screen shot it looks like you are rendering over the menu.
    Monday, September 12, 2016 5:18 AM
  • Yes I tried that.  Reducing the size did not work.  Also I am not using Maximized forms

justin

Monday, September 12, 2016 5:51 AM
  • If left alone, that menubar area would not be the color it is in your screen shot so something is rendering there. How are you calculating the form size? Or how are you excluding that area from rendering? 
    Monday, September 12, 2016 3:54 PM
  • Here is the form...

My Form

justin

• Edited by justin lane Monday, September 12, 2016 10:31 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2016 10:01 PM
  • Hmmm maybe it is also the Main Menu form that is behind this form.  Unfortunately I am overseas (Solomon Islands) where the internet is much slower than a 56k dial up modem.  Anyway the PDA is back in the office.  So I can't actually test this until I return in 2 weeks time.

justin

Monday, September 12, 2016 10:34 PM
  • Okay, have a great trip!
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 2:33 AM

• Hi justin lane,

From your description, I think it may be caused by the following reasons:

When your  CE app starts, It  may hide the taskbar and menu bar. You can refer the following link.

Windows Mobile: Hide StartButton in WinMo 6.5.x:

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best Regards,

Yohann Lu

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 7:02 AM
  • Hi Yohann,

That was by far the best link I have seen on this subject - very useful thank you.

However I ended up turning my ap into a kiosk type ap and displaying the keypad on arriving in text editable fields.

I am sure that the solutions suggested would work.  I just don't have the time/resources to investigate.

Anyway thank you for your response.

justin

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 3:16 AM