Earned Value in Ms Proj 2007 Std RRS feed

• Question

• Hi MSP Community

Is there any settings in 2007  that will enable calculation of  EV from baselined work hours rather than costs. I have tried most combinations of settings in Tool/Options/Calculation without success.  Our client wants EV  but we do not wish to share our costs. I know the EV calculations are predicated on the cost fields, however in Primavera you can calculate EV from baselined work, without costs being allocated to resource . I could include an $1 per hour or day and get the results from inserting EV fields such as CPI and SPI fields into the views. However this does not appeal.

Any comments/advice appreciated.

Thanks........Pratta                                                                                              

Pratta
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:34 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Pratta,

I am afraid, but to my knowledge its not possible in Ms Project. To calculate the Earned Value using Ms Project, all the following activities must be performed in your project plan.

• Resources assigned to tasks
    • Resources should have Rate information
    • Summary tasks should not have resources assigned
    • Saved Baseline
    • Updated project progress

Lets see if someone else know the way of doing so without defining cost.

Hope this helps.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:10 AM
  • Hello Pratta,

No, sorry.  The earned value calculations in Project are based upon money -- as is the standard EV calculation.  As you note, using $1 per hour per resource will get you a bit closer to using work.

You can use some custom fields to calculate earned value.  However, you will be unable to calculate time-phased earned value, so before spending too much time working through that, I'd check the client requirements to see if they are looking for the EV data over time.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:17 AM
  • Just to chime in....you could use a custom formula to perform EV calculations
    by work...then take a snapshot of the value each week.  It's not perfect,
    but gets you part of the way there:

[% Work Complete] X [Baseline Work]

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:03 PM