none
Virtual Machine support for Kinect SDK RRS feed

• General discussion

• Please, please, please have the next release of the Kinect SDK support execution in a virtual machine environment (in my case I'm using Parallels Desktop on a Mac). I just tried 1.00.12, and was disappointed to see the same issue in this latest release of the SDK.

Also the ReadMe is really less than clear:

"Virtual machines: You must run applications built with the Kinect for Windows SDK Beta in a native Windows environment. Kinect for Windows applications cannot run in a virtual machine, because the Microsoft Kinect drivers and this beta SDK must be installed on the computer where the application is running."

I have the SDK and drivers installed inside my virtual machine - where the application would be running. Being "installed on the computer" is really less than clear. It would be great to see this reworded to explain the background, or - even better - to just have it removed because VM support has been added.

Thanks,

Kean

• Changed type Eddy Escardo-Raffo [MSFT] Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:02 AM this looks like a request for a future feature rather than a question in need of a specific answer
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 3:29 PM

All replies

• It sounds to me its kind of like dos/95 machines in the old days they needed to have every hardware directly interface with the OS and not have virtualization which seperates it into a fake(or virtual) machine which acts like a totally different machine then the one you have. In simple terms you can run dos or xp in a virtual machine and the virtual machine will act differently from your host machine (windows 7 or whatever you have).

BTW  with virtualization you are creating a sandbox and in that sandbox certain drivers cant access the hardware directly causing malfunction/inability to use that hardware. For your sake if it says that just program inside of windows directly besides that kinect sdk wont crash the machine if you are debugging correctly (although if you have an infinite loop you may need to ctrl+alt+del and close the process for the dev enviroment and program).

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Thanks a lot for the feedback, KeanW. I have double-checked we have this on the list of things under consideration for next release. As usual, I can't make any guarantees about what will make it in and what will not until we make an official release announcement, but we are listening to requests like yours.

Thanks again!
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:04 AM
  • Yes please provide support for virtual environments that would be appreciated.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 3:22 PM
  •  

Any updated on this?   The US FIRST Robotics program (http://usfirst.org) has announced that the FRC 2012 kit of parts will includes a Kinect.  That is a lot of high school students experimenting with building software for a Kinect.  I'm guessing most will use it to control their robots.

For my team, we've started to use virtual machines for our development environment.  There is just too much software, and too much configuration needed to develop both the on-board software and the operator control on a Windows laptop.  I'd like to students to focus on programming, rather than setup of the development environment.

Is there hope?

KC

Saturday, October 8, 2011 1:06 PM
  • The status at the moment is the same as last time I replied about this topic, unfortunately. That is: We are aware about problem, but latest release so far still does not support virtual machine environments.

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Monday, October 10, 2011 8:01 PM
  • One more vote for virtual machine support.

Seems strange that it doesn't work, since both libfreenect and OpenNI work fine in a VM (Tested in VMWare Fusion on a Mac). Seems like USB bandwidth isn't an issue at least for getting camera data?

Thanks!

Saturday, October 22, 2011 4:19 PM
  • Anyone trying to use it inside a virtualbox Windows 7 VM ??? I'd like support as well ....
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 11:49 PM
  • I ran a Kinect SDK workshop this weekend at the Art && Code conference and running the SDK in a virtual machine was a big request.
    -- Joshua Blake Microsoft Surface MVP Technical Director, InfoStrat Advanced Technology Group Blog: http://nui.joshland.org Twitter: http://twitter.com/joshblake Natural User Interfaces in .NET Book: http://manning.com/blake
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Another vote here for VM support! I'm in virtualbox on a Mac and am disappointed to not be able to work with my new Kinect.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:44 PM
  • Kinect SDK should definitely support Virtual Machines. In my VM the Kinect shows up and drivers are installed. I would be interested why the SDK does not recognize it.
    Friday, November 4, 2011 1:55 PM
  • Unfortunately there is no support for Virtual Machines in Kinect for Windows SDK beta 2 which was released today.
    Friday, November 4, 2011 3:36 PM
  • <sigh>

Thanks for checking and pointing this out.

Kean

Friday, November 4, 2011 6:28 PM
  • Another vote for VM support - please...!
    Monday, November 7, 2011 11:54 AM
  • I'll throw another vote for this. I do all my development in a virtualbox environment and would be very happy to get access to the kinect.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 4:31 PM
  • I would like to run Kinect applications in a VM too but I am trying to remotize the sensor using USB over IP solution. It looks like the device are activated in the VM but the applications daeosn't detect them. I don't understand if it is a Kinect or USB over IP issue
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:59 PM
  • Still no virtual machine support in the 1.0.  Very disappointing.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 3:44 PM
  • I just don't understand some of the descion making here. On one hand MS want wide and varied development using the Kinect's. Which is presumably good for sales all round. Yet the device / SDK is crippled. There is no particular technical reason, I am sure, why the Kinect should not work within a virtual environment.

Virtual environments are great for developers for all sort of reasons. Come on MS stop being silly about this and "allow" the Kinect to work within a virtual environment.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:09 PM
  • I agree with everyone above for multiple machine testing scenarios it would be best to emulate the machine and perform tests before throwing something that wont work onto a machine. But at least the runtime should be able to run from virtual machine if not anything else.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:20 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:19 PM
  • we didn't remove the functionality, so it is not "crippled". It doesn't work, and we haven't done the changes necessary to make it work yet. That work is in our backlog.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:41 PM
  • Okay then OP theirs your answer please mark as helpful so a new thread can be started or sticky this todd or sticky a similar thread at top of forum when you guys implement this feature so double thread posts dont happen.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:44 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:43 PM
  • Todd, thank you for the reply. Mainly for my curiosity what extra work needs to be done to allow the drivers/SDK to work in a VM and why is it libfreenect and OpenNI manage it (as confirmed above)?
    Friday, February 24, 2012 10:00 PM
  • Another vote here for VM support. I'm currently doing a research on MoCap and this lack of VM support is really holding me back as I can only work when I'm in the Lab. I don't want to use BootCamp on my Mac as I have too many important documents on it and feel it's not safe. Microsoft please listen to our requests.
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:16 PM
  • we're listening, is there a way that you can remote desktop into the lab?
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:23 PM
  • I am curious to know what you are cooking for VM support. Is there something new in the roadmap ?

I wonder whether the USB remote sharing got with RemoteFx in the Windows Server 8 Hyper-v 3 is compatible with Kinect. Do you plan to support ?

Friday, March 23, 2012 9:05 PM
  • there is nothing to divulge here, it's in our backlog of features to be added for future releases.
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:30 AM
  • Thank you, i am waiting this update.
    Friday, March 30, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Any update on this? Or at least an estimate on when this feature will be added?

Thanks

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 7:23 PM
  • Im curious as to if the may update will have this for kinect sdk v1.5?

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, May 9, 2012 12:07 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 12:07 PM
  • sorry, 1.5 will not have VM support.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:08 PM
  • Okay pin/sticky this  thread todd  or a moderator and keep us informed on progress towards using in a vm.  If anyone agrees with me do vote as helpful or reply below.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:28 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Oh man... I bought Kinect for Windows just to find out that its not working with VM :(

The product should rather be named 'Kinect for Windows BUT NOT ON VM'.

Sure I should have checked that in advance, but there is nothing mentioned on box or system requirements. It should be mentioned there!

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:37 PM
  • sorry about that.... we're still working on VM support ;)
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:23 PM
  • Happy to hear that! I think meanwhile quite a huge number of OS or implementations is running on VMs. And I'm sure this number will significantly increase as I can see trend in many companies I'm consulting for...

Hope this will push the priority of your VM support backlog item :)

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:14 AM
  • I agree but microsoft can put up a virtual lab for kinect when you get vm support up and running and that would very much stimulate the kinect effect because you are essentially using microsoft virtual pc vm's for those labs.  But just having vm support would allow faster deployments and to revert to previous state in-case something goes wrong and not have to reinstall entire operating system.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:42 PM
  • Doh! Just ordered all of the kit and found this thread.. VM support please. 
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 12:21 AM
  • we're listening ;)
    Monday, August 27, 2012 4:19 AM
  • Add one more vote. Is there anything we can do to provide you with logs or such to help? 
    I travel a lot and since developing with Kinect I have had to carry a "Extra" windows laptop with me. This adds quite a bit of bulk. Please save my back :) 

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:00 AM
  • all I can say right now is that this is "active" work, not just in our backlog of features. No promises, but we listen to our community and try to accommodate to enable the best development environment.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:00 AM
  • Dude!! Forget about MS SDK. It is useless and does not even maintain backward compatibility. Use any of the open source Kinect libraries. libfreenect is my favourite.
    Sunday, September 9, 2012 12:54 AM
  • Dude!! Forget about MS SDK. It is useless and does not even maintain backward compatibility. Use any of the open source Kinect libraries. libfreenect is my favourite.

No its not useless thats a complete understatement. Comparing it to windows 8 will get you no where because kinect and windows 8 dont relate except for maybe if microsoft listens maybe metro will have kinect support.

Version 1.0 kinect sdk is backwards compatible with v1.5 kinect sdk. Also, if your referring to not being able to use xbox kinect for commerical purposes as they stated in beta 2 the xbox kinect wasn't going to be used for commerical kinect development purposes. Kinect xbox can be used for debugging purposes in kinect v1.0 and above according to documentation. Besides last time I checked openni or libfreenect does NOT support kinect for windows and some of the open source sites are against coding for it.

I personally would not challenge you without trying openni , some of its programs, and maybe some simple coding with it. In addition, I attempted once to do libfreenect and documentation was horrible.

The biggest problem i see between openni and libfreenect is documentation.

Note: for everyone that knows me when i participate in forum posts like this I usually have tryed programs on both sides of the spectrum before posting my arugment.

But anyways since i got off topic i agree that kinect support should be virtualized still but specifically support for virtual pc and maybe vmware.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

• Edited by The Thinker Sunday, September 9, 2012 5:47 PM
    Sunday, September 9, 2012 5:44 PM
  • Can you point to specific compatibility issues?
    Monday, September 10, 2012 7:36 PM
  • Need VM support

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:38 PM
  • Todd,

Thanks for the replies in this thread. Is there a general timeframe on VM support for the Kinect for Windows?  We're doing all of our dev work in virtualized environments now so it would be helpful.

Thanks.

Glenn Thomas

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:57 AM
  • Another vote for this. Also can't really see what the technical challenge is. Maybe enlightening the community might help, you never we might be able to help you.
    Friday, October 5, 2012 3:55 PM
  • hang tight, I promise good news soon
    Saturday, October 6, 2012 7:08 AM
  • Todd was right...Kinect for Windows SDK v1.6 has support for virtual machines.
    See the freshly released documentation here:

"Using Kinect for Windows with a Virtual Machine"

Enjoy!

Thanks, Rob

Monday, October 8, 2012 2:30 PM
  • I am testing this new feature but it looks like I can install a VM guest and the Kinect sensor only on the same machine. No possibility to remotize the VM on a server in the cloud. And I understand you propose this scenario only for testing, not for production.
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:10 AM
  • Hi Rob, 

I was glad when I saw your that a new release supports virtual machines. But it turned out to be disappointing :(

-- Kinect for Xbox sensors are not supported.

Sad,

Issak

Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:13 PM
  • I am testing this new feature but it looks like I can install a VM guest and the Kinect sensor only on the same machine. No possibility to remotize the VM on a server in the cloud. And I understand you propose this scenario only for testing, not for production.

Hi Moreno, as I am new to Kinect, well I didn't even buy it yet, I am thinking to purchase Kinect for Windows (or Kinect 2 for Windows when it comes out) to use it with iClone Mocap software to create mocap animations... on a MAC PRO running VMware Virtual Machine (I have Windows 7 on there) . 

What is the problem with Sensor and VM Kinect software running on the same host? Is it a problem of performances? Or practicality where you want to physically have things in different places?

Grazie!

Saturday, December 15, 2012 12:42 PM
  • I got a XBox kinect. Win 8 running in VMWare on macos. Windows detectes the device but with sdk 1.7 i cannot run any code in VS it can't find the kinect sensor. All stuff I could possibly activate in VMWare fusion is active (Hyper-V etc) What is the problem here? After wasting money on kinect for xbox (games are pretty lame and not that many) I am supposed to toss more money for a kinect for windows just to give a try to the SDK and see if it is worth for the project I'd like to do?

Thanks for the reply.

Diego

Friday, April 5, 2013 11:39 PM
  • I got a XBox kinect. Win 8 running in VMWare on macos. Windows detectes the device but with sdk 1.7 i cannot run any code in VS it can't find the kinect sensor. All stuff I could possibly activate in VMWare fusion is active (Hyper-V etc) What is the problem here? After wasting money on kinect for xbox (games are pretty lame and not that many) I am supposed to toss more money for a kinect for windows just to give a try to the SDK and see if it is worth for the project I'd like to do?

Thanks for the reply.

Diego

Currently after watching threads the testing is only done with the host machine being windows 7. I think it could work with a little tweaking. You should be able to use the xbox kinect for debugging or if you have the full sdk installed. However, offically its not supported for commerical purposes and it would be better to get a kinect for windows once you decide to go commerical.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

Friday, April 5, 2013 11:55 PM
  • at this time, only the Kinect For Windows sensor is supported in VMs.
    Saturday, April 6, 2013 12:47 AM