How to use EL with existing application? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1299297349 posted

Hi,

I am new to the Enterprise Library concept and wanted to know how hard it is to implement in an existing application?

My application has a mechanism to handle Errors, Exceptions, and Logging. I'd like to know how easy plugging/using EL instead and how much work is required to implement it?

Considering that my application is HUGE but well organized.

Kindly provide some insight on my questions and/or provide some links, articles, etc...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

[:D] 

Friday, October 10, 2008 9:28 AM

Answers

• User3011751 posted

Hi,
    Because you are going to use only a small portion of EL - exception handling and logging I don't think that it will take you a lot.
    The exception handling is very stright forward and the logging application block is configuration driven.
    I think that between 5-10 day is a very good estimation.
    Don't forget that learning the basics is also a issue here so 5-10 of implementation and integration to your application and I guess 1-2 day of learing how to use the features of EL that you need.
    The links for David Hayden's blog helped me a lot to boost the learning curve.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, October 10, 2008 12:52 PM

All replies

• User3011751 posted

Hi,
    As someone who integrated EL in an existing and very big application and also has about 2.5 years experience with EL, I can say that the integration is not very fast but it is simple. The learning curve of EL for it's basic features is very fast. The fact that your application is HUGE but well organized will help you a lot. In my case the application was very bad designed. You can use the following links as a start point:
    http://shatl.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!75F4780389140E69!430.entry
    http://www.pnpguidance.net/Category/EnterpriseLibrary.aspx - start from the bottom of the list
    http://davidhayden.com/blog/dave/category/60.aspx?Show=All - start from the bottom of the list

Friday, October 10, 2008 12:03 PM
  • User-1299297349 posted

gilfink,

Thank you so much for your reply, this really helps, I don't really have a lot of time to implement it that's why I needed a heads-up on the situation.

Considering that I am new to EL, how long do you think it will take me to get everything in place? 5 days?

Thanks again for your help.

Friday, October 10, 2008 12:22 PM
  • User3011751 posted

Hi,
    Because you are going to use only a small portion of EL - exception handling and logging I don't think that it will take you a lot.
    The exception handling is very stright forward and the logging application block is configuration driven.
    I think that between 5-10 day is a very good estimation.
    Don't forget that learning the basics is also a issue here so 5-10 of implementation and integration to your application and I guess 1-2 day of learing how to use the features of EL that you need.
    The links for David Hayden's blog helped me a lot to boost the learning curve.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, October 10, 2008 12:52 PM
  • User-1299297349 posted

Hi,

Thank you for your help, I actually want to also use the error handling, this make them three and a lot of time, I can't spend more than 3 days for the whole thing because it's a nice to have to a must have thing for now.

You've been a great help.

Regards,

Friday, October 10, 2008 1:05 PM