none
Cannot see .NET 2.0 framework in VS2010's Setup template RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I've been trying to make my application maximum compatible with all previous versions of Windows. So I decided to build my application based on .NET 2.0 Framework.

I am using Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate, obviously I have .NET 4.0 installed on my system. Also my OS is Windows 7 Ultimate.

To achieve my objective, I first created a new windows forms application project and selected ".Net Framework 2.0" from the drop down. I add couple of controls and functions to my application just for testing purpose. Then in project properties, I go to 'Compile' and then 'Advances Compile Options', from there I select ".NET Framework 2.0" as target configuration.

Thats all ok. Now that I add a Setup project to my solution and do all the settings in it, like specifying files to add to setup, etc. Now when I open properties of Setup project and go to prerequisites.. I don't see ".NET Framework 2.0" in it. I only see 3.5 SP1 and 4.0 (normal frameworks and Client Profile versions both).

As per my understanding, I need to select .NET Framework 2.0 in Prerequisites window to make my project completely based on .NET 2.0. I've seen some articles on the net, they all show pictures in which .NET 2.0 is appearing in prerequisites window. Why isn't it appearing on my computer ? I tried downloading and installing .NET 2.0 redistributable, but it wont install.. says I've got newer version of .NET and Windows which already contain 2.0.

Please suggest what should I do to bring my application down to 2.0 framework completely.

Regards

Faraz Azhar

Thursday, August 5, 2010 1:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Faraz,

Thank you for your post.

I've tried to create one setup project via VS2010. I can reproduce your scenario on my machine. This feature is designed in Visual Studio 2010 IDE.

.NET 2.0 is included in .NET 3.5 as prerequisite. If we install .NET Framework 3.5 on the target machine, the .NET 2.0 application is also supported. Thus, for your concern, you can choose ".NET Framework 3.5" as prerequisite of your setup project.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Friday, August 6, 2010 9:42 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:50 AM
    Friday, August 6, 2010 9:41 AM
  • Hi Faraz,

Thank you for your reply. And sorry for delay.

For your concern, I think that you can try to set .NET Framework Launch Condition in your Setup Project to check .NET Framework 2.0.
    This feature can help us to check the runtime version of the .NET Framework on the target computer, and sets a launch condition based on the result.
    If the installer cannot find .NET Framework 2.0 runtime on the target machine, it can be redirected to the URL that contains a downloadable copy of the .NET Framework 2.0 redistributable file.

For more detail information, please see:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xxyh2e6a.aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/w8z03981.aspx

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, August 9, 2010 7:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Faraz,

Thank you for your post.

I've tried to create one setup project via VS2010. I can reproduce your scenario on my machine. This feature is designed in Visual Studio 2010 IDE.

.NET 2.0 is included in .NET 3.5 as prerequisite. If we install .NET Framework 3.5 on the target machine, the .NET 2.0 application is also supported. Thus, for your concern, you can choose ".NET Framework 3.5" as prerequisite of your setup project.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Friday, August 6, 2010 9:42 AM typo
    Friday, August 6, 2010 9:41 AM
  • YiChun, I don't think your answer is what the original poster was looking for.

I've been trying to make my application maximum compatible with all previous versions of Windows. So I decided to build my application based on .NET 2.0 Framework.

He wants to create a app using the 2.0 framework, not the 3.5 framework. We know that 3.5 is built on top of 2.0.

Friday, August 6, 2010 5:02 PM
  • Yes thats what I want.. I "do not" want to use any framework other than 2.0. I dont want to use 3.5 or anything. I've seen people doing this.. theyve even posted articles on how to do this, but I'm having trouble doing it... the 2.0 framework is not appearing in my Prerequisites window.
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 9:57 AM
  • Hi Faraz,

Thank you for your reply. And sorry for delay.

For your concern, I think that you can try to set .NET Framework Launch Condition in your Setup Project to check .NET Framework 2.0.
    This feature can help us to check the runtime version of the .NET Framework on the target computer, and sets a launch condition based on the result.
    If the installer cannot find .NET Framework 2.0 runtime on the target machine, it can be redirected to the URL that contains a downloadable copy of the .NET Framework 2.0 redistributable file.

For more detail information, please see:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xxyh2e6a.aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/w8z03981.aspx

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, August 9, 2010 7:20 AM