How do I configure VS 2010 Customer Experience Improvement Program setting programmatically? RRS feed

• Question

• After I finish the unattended install of VS 2010 Premium, I would like to set Customer Experience Improvement Program option to yes. Is there a way to do this programmatically through a script?
    • Moved by Figo Fei Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:41 AM (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 9:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Brad,

There is no setting for this feature that can be set via the install. I did some digging in the sources, and I could not find any way you could programatically change this option up through automation. The command that invokes the dialog, doesn't support optional parameters (which it ought to in my humble opinion). If it did, then you could simply execute the command via the devenv commandline and be done with it.

When setting "Yes" or "No" from this dialog, we invoke an internal interface method that sets the following registry value to enable/disable the SQM logger. You could possibly author a utility that sets this registry value after installing VS. That's about the only option I can think of, to do something like this.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VSCommon\10.0\SQM]
    @="1"

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 6:32 PM

All replies

• Moved to VSX forum for better answers.

Thanks for your understanding.

Figo Fei
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:41 AM
  • The setting is in the registry.

Specifying Customer Feedback Settings

You can configure if Visual Studio enables customer feedback on individual computers by changing subkey settings under this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReporting\DW\VSSetup\Product Name Value\10.0\.

NoteNote

Replace Product Name Value by using the value for VSSWProdName that is specified in the setup.sdb file, which is located in n:\setup\ on the installation media. For example, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReporting\DW\VSSetup\Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate\10.0\.

The following subkeys are available in the key. For all of the subkeys, dword:00000001 means true, and dword:00000000 means false.

• "VSSWUXEnabled" sets whether to hide the SQM customer feedback information and not send it.

• "VSSWUIDefaultChecked" sets whether the customer feedback check box is selected.

• "VSSWUIDisabled" sets whether the customer feedback check box is disabled.

See: Visual Studio Admin Guide: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee225238.aspx

Thanks.

Figo Fei
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:15 AM
  • Figo,

The registry key you specified, "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\PCHealth" does not exist on any of the Windows XP PC's I using for testing my install.  I think you're misunderstanding my question.  I read through the VS Admin Guide, and I believe that is referring to the customer feedback compiled during the install process.  I'm interested in the data collected while you're using VS 2010.  You can set this option within Visual Studio from the Help menu by selecting Customer Feedback Options.  I want to set this value to yes during my unattended install.

- Brad

Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:15 PM
  • Hi Brad,

There is no setting for this feature that can be set via the install. I did some digging in the sources, and I could not find any way you could programatically change this option up through automation. The command that invokes the dialog, doesn't support optional parameters (which it ought to in my humble opinion). If it did, then you could simply execute the command via the devenv commandline and be done with it.

When setting "Yes" or "No" from this dialog, we invoke an internal interface method that sets the following registry value to enable/disable the SQM logger. You could possibly author a utility that sets this registry value after installing VS. That's about the only option I can think of, to do something like this.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VSCommon\10.0\SQM]
    @="1"

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 6:32 PM