GUI for editing table data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

For protoyping purposes, is there a tool that reads a databases's schema and generates (simple) table editor that allows manual editing of data. It would be good if the tool somehow made it easy to add forign key values to reference data e.g. gender, status, ...

I can kind of do this using Managemetn Studios "Edit Top 200 Rows", but I was wondering if there is a more user friendly tool out there.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 4, 2015 3:39 PM

Answers

• I would think it's better to type the insert statements out than using a simple tool to do so. Think about it this way:

1. Code & data control: If I generate scripts for all the FK tables then I can ensure that they are always input in the exact same way for each new instance. I can also do code reviews and send the script to QA or another developer to ensure they are what we want.
    2. Manual entry takes a lot more time for many instances. Do you have Dev, Test, QA, Prod? Do the devs have their own instances too? That's a lot of typing.
    3. Avoiding a UI keeps you sharp! Don't settle for the free easy stuff. What if the UI changes in the next/new version? Now you'll have to learn all over again.

I know that there are tools out there for DB management, such as TOAD but they are primarily not used for entering data. You could link the tables in MS Access or perhaps see if ERStudio or ERWin or some other ERD tool can take data along with the ERD; but, I would say again that it's probably better to just type the insert statements out and check them into source control. :)

I hope you found this post helpful.  If it was please mark it as helpful or as the Answer. :)

Thursday, June 4, 2015 6:34 PM
  • Hello Amir,

You can use RAD = "Rapid Application Development" Tools to create quickly such app's, e.g. with MS Access or the more modern Visual Studio LightSwitch

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, June 5, 2015 6:57 AM

All replies

• I would think it's better to type the insert statements out than using a simple tool to do so. Think about it this way:

1. Code & data control: If I generate scripts for all the FK tables then I can ensure that they are always input in the exact same way for each new instance. I can also do code reviews and send the script to QA or another developer to ensure they are what we want.
    2. Manual entry takes a lot more time for many instances. Do you have Dev, Test, QA, Prod? Do the devs have their own instances too? That's a lot of typing.
    3. Avoiding a UI keeps you sharp! Don't settle for the free easy stuff. What if the UI changes in the next/new version? Now you'll have to learn all over again.

I know that there are tools out there for DB management, such as TOAD but they are primarily not used for entering data. You could link the tables in MS Access or perhaps see if ERStudio or ERWin or some other ERD tool can take data along with the ERD; but, I would say again that it's probably better to just type the insert statements out and check them into source control. :)

I hope you found this post helpful.  If it was please mark it as helpful or as the Answer. :)

Thursday, June 4, 2015 6:34 PM
  • Hello Amir,

You can use RAD = "Rapid Application Development" Tools to create quickly such app's, e.g. with MS Access or the more modern Visual Studio LightSwitch

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, June 5, 2015 6:57 AM