in-app purchase behavior after upgrade version

Question

• Hi all,

I am developing store app which is already published on store (say 'GuruApp 1.0 Trial', and users may call requestAppPurchaseAsync to buy full version('GuruApp 1.0 Deluxe'))

Now I implement a new feature 'New Feature' and like it to be a product of my app (say 'GuroApp 2.0', users can buy this product via requestProductPurchaseAsync)

My question is ...

* How can I let users who buy 'Guru App 1.0 Deluxe', after update to 'GuroApp 2.0' still need to buy 'New Feature' via in-app
         And users who buy full version from 'GuroApp 2.0 Trail' can use 'New Feature' directly?

Tks.

Smith

- Slash

Friday, August 30, 2013 12:06 PM

Answers

• What about making v2.0 a free app (no trial, completely free) with extra features only available via in-app purchase?

v1.0 owners will need to buy the in-app to get new features

v2.0 owners need to buy the in-app to get new features

Or have two separate in-apps so you can charge 1.0 users less (you should be able to calculate if they bought the v1.0 when it was a paid app by checking the date they acquired a full licence).

e.g. already bought v1.0 - $99c to get new features

never bought v1.0 - $1.99 to get full feature set.

You will almost certainly get more downloads if your app is listed as free in the store. In my experience an app that is free gets 10x more downloads than an app with exactly the same features that has an unlimited free trial but is a paid app.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 1:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Smith,

If you have one application then the version won't matter. Users who purchase an older version will automatically get the new version. Purchased in-app purchases will remain through upgrades.

You cannot take away the in-app purchase when the user upgrades, but you can have a new in-app purchase to access new features in the 2.0 version.

If you have separate downloads (GuruApp Free and GuruApp Deluxe) then they are completely separate items. A user cannot upgrade from one to the other.

--Rob

Friday, August 30, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Thanks Rob.

I know if i add new in-app purchase in 2.0 then the users upgrade from 1.0 still need to buy the features.

But can new users who buy 2.0 app after I submit able to use those features directly?

Instead buy 2.0 app then he need to pay money again for in-app purchase.

I assume users who buy trail app still need to buy in-app purchase to use new features ...

Tks.

Smith

- Slash

Monday, September 2, 2013 3:50 AM
  • This sounds confusing. I think it would confuse users if you could implement it.

Perhaps you could 'retire' the in-app purchase for version 1 (upgrade to 1.0 deluxe) - since once you publish 2.0 there will be no more v1.0 downloads (I assume). And then anyone with only the v1.0 inapp product would not have access to 2.0 features.

Then anyone with the v2.0 deluxe upgrade gets the new features, but those with the older v1.0 deluxe upgrade need to purchase another product to get those extra features.

Or

* InApp #1 grants deluxe features in v1.0

* InApp #2 grants deluxe features in v2.0 + v1.0

Just check on launch which 'licence' they have (none, v1.0 deluxe/version 2 standard, or version 2 deluxe).

Is the app paid or free (+ in-app)? This model seems (if I'm understanding correctly) to be easier to manage in a totally free app where all payment is via in-app upgrades.

Do you intend for users to 'buy' each new version (in the same way you'd buy a new version of Windows as an upgrade), but via an in-app purchase?

If I've not been much help please clarify your question with a bit more detail.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Monday, September 2, 2013 7:20 AM
  • Thanks pumpkinszwan.

It's paid version of my app.

I have different view on this topic.

For those users who download GuruApp 2.0 trail, he can enjoy all features during trial period.

Once he purchase the app ('isTrail'  from true to false), 

those new features w/ in-app purchase will be disabled unless he purchase it again.

This sounds strange to me since he can use all features during trial and unable to use them after purchase?

any idea is welcome. Thank you.

Smith

- Slash

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 1:03 AM
  • What about making v2.0 a free app (no trial, completely free) with extra features only available via in-app purchase?

v1.0 owners will need to buy the in-app to get new features

v2.0 owners need to buy the in-app to get new features

Or have two separate in-apps so you can charge 1.0 users less (you should be able to calculate if they bought the v1.0 when it was a paid app by checking the date they acquired a full licence).

e.g. already bought v1.0 - $99c to get new features

never bought v1.0 - $1.99 to get full feature set.

You will almost certainly get more downloads if your app is listed as free in the store. In my experience an app that is free gets 10x more downloads than an app with exactly the same features that has an unlimited free trial but is a paid app.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 1:39 AM