none
SQL Azure price per database, or per MB?

Question

• I see that I can create up to 149 databases on my SQL Azure web edition server. What is unclear is-  do I get charged the same $9.99 / month regardless of how many databases I create as long as total size is < 1 gig? Or is it $9.99 per each database? I believe it is the former, but I'd like to be certain.
    Bob - www.crowcoder.com
    Monday, January 23, 2012 6:22 PM

Answers

• The price depends upon three things

- Number of databases

- Peak size that each databases reaches on a given day

- Edition of the database.

So yes, it is $9.99 per month per 1 GB web edition db. So if you create 3 databases then the total bill for the month is (9.99 * 3) per month

Also note that the SQL Azure billing is on "per day" basis. So if you create a SQL Azure DB (1 GB web DB) for a single day then the charge is ( 9.99 / 30 ) for that day.

To answer your question, latter is true and not former.

More info: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/ee621788.aspx

Paras Doshi (Blog: ParasDoshi.com | Twitter: @Paras_Doshi )
    • Edited by Paras Doshi Monday, January 23, 2012 7:10 PM edited the url
    • Marked as answer by Molku Monday, January 23, 2012 9:06 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 7:09 PM

All replies

• The price depends upon three things

- Number of databases

- Peak size that each databases reaches on a given day

- Edition of the database.

So yes, it is $9.99 per month per 1 GB web edition db. So if you create 3 databases then the total bill for the month is (9.99 * 3) per month

Also note that the SQL Azure billing is on "per day" basis. So if you create a SQL Azure DB (1 GB web DB) for a single day then the charge is ( 9.99 / 30 ) for that day.

To answer your question, latter is true and not former.

More info: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/ee621788.aspx

Paras Doshi (Blog: ParasDoshi.com | Twitter: @Paras_Doshi )
    • Edited by Paras Doshi Monday, January 23, 2012 7:10 PM edited the url
    • Marked as answer by Molku Monday, January 23, 2012 9:06 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Hi,

Let me just add the following, billing increments. The SQL Azure billing uses billing increments. 

If you use 1 database with 1Gb or less you will pay 9.99$/30 (in a 30 day month)

If you use 1 database with more than 1Gb and 5Gb or less you will pay based on the next billing increment that is 5Gb (49.90$/30)

The billing increments for Web Edition Databases are 1Gb and 5Gb.

The billing increments for Business Editions are 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50Gb.

So, you pay per database per "billing increment".

If you found this post useful, Please "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful". Best Regards.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 7:58 PM