Two xap files in certification for the same app RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to the best of my understanding to submit an update to my app.

When I go to the 'All - Submitted' tab I see one entry for the app.  But when I go to life cycle I see two XAP's in the "in progress" group, the old version and the new version.  When I go to "In-progress details" on "details" I can see a combobox that contains the current xap file with the old capabilities and metadata, but also the new XAP file.

Pretty odd.  Did I accidentially submit both?  Is this UX supposted to show current and future?

Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The short answer is that you accidentally submitted both.

That being said, your "In-progress details" shows the exact snapshot of how your "Published" section will look like if your submission passes certification. This means that if you are seeing 2 XAPs in there, you have submitted 2 XAPs for certification and you will have 2 XAPs published.

It sounds to me that you meant to update your XAP and not have 2 different versions published. During the submission flow, in the "Upload and Describe your Xap" page, you selected "add new" instead of "update selected." Without knowing about your XAPs, I don't know which one would be served to devices - we have logic on what XAP (SKU) gets served to what devices based on language, locale, version, etc.

Once the submission is certified, you can submit a new update and use "delete selected" on your old XAP and "update selected" on your new XAP so that you end up with only one binary published.

We understand that the way we show your different XAPs (formerly defined as SKUs in the previous UX) is a little bit confusing - we hope to improve that in the future.

Thanks,

Jin

• Proposed as answer by Jin Zhang Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Danny G. - MS Friday, August 24, 2012 5:36 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:14 PM
  • definetely capabilities were added.  no languages, but given that the new app store unlocks yet more countries maybe countries.

One last question:  is there there a chance that the binary with the higher version number gets picked all else being equal?

Friday, August 24, 2012 9:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The short answer is that you accidentally submitted both.

That being said, your "In-progress details" shows the exact snapshot of how your "Published" section will look like if your submission passes certification. This means that if you are seeing 2 XAPs in there, you have submitted 2 XAPs for certification and you will have 2 XAPs published.

It sounds to me that you meant to update your XAP and not have 2 different versions published. During the submission flow, in the "Upload and Describe your Xap" page, you selected "add new" instead of "update selected." Without knowing about your XAPs, I don't know which one would be served to devices - we have logic on what XAP (SKU) gets served to what devices based on language, locale, version, etc.

Once the submission is certified, you can submit a new update and use "delete selected" on your old XAP and "update selected" on your new XAP so that you end up with only one binary published.

We understand that the way we show your different XAPs (formerly defined as SKUs in the previous UX) is a little bit confusing - we hope to improve that in the future.

Thanks,

Jin

• Proposed as answer by Jin Zhang Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Danny G. - MS Friday, August 24, 2012 5:36 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:14 PM
  • Thanks Jin.

My xap files both have the same name, one has version 2.5, the other has version 2.6.  Both are selected for the same markets.

I will watch out for the mistake, but I have to say that this is an error that should be caught on submission:  It should not be possible to submit two XAP files with different version numbers to the same market.

Is there a chance that the submission logic will select the newer version in this scenario?

Friday, August 24, 2012 3:18 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for you feedback. There's actually a lot of logic that happens for the decision of what XAP gets served to which device. Variables such as capabilities, resolutions, languages, etc. can determine which XAP. That being said, it *is* an error that will be caught and prevent your submission if every variable that affects the logic is identical. Your new XAP probably contains a new capability or a new language (among other variables looked at) which is why the submission let your send both as part of the update.

Jin

Friday, August 24, 2012 5:51 PM
  • definetely capabilities were added.  no languages, but given that the new app store unlocks yet more countries maybe countries.

One last question:  is there there a chance that the binary with the higher version number gets picked all else being equal?

Friday, August 24, 2012 9:09 PM