none
Is there any native virtual network interface for Windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to do something with the virtual network interface on Windows10, in which I need to operate directly on the virtual network device (similar to tun/tap). As is known, tun is native to Linux so it's fine to use it in Linux. And I'm wondering if there is any such "native" virtual network interfaces in Windows10?

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, December 20, 2015 9:54 PM

Answers

• Windows does not have VNICs such as that; however, there is quite a lot that can be done on Windows, and its network stack is very flexible (probably more so that that of Linux). Everything that you want to accomplish can be done on Windows, but it is not done the Linux way. VPN support is built-in, and easy to use. Use Google or Bing to learn the necessary steps to creating a VPN.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 11:34 PM

All replies

• Few people here know anything about Linux, so please describe exactly what it is you want to do

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Monday, December 21, 2015 7:39 PM
  • Few people here know anything about Linux, so please describe exactly what it is you want to do

-Brian

I'm trying to utilize such a virtual network interface to build up something like a VPN. To be more exactly, I just need  native VNIC in Windows 10 which can be read from and written to.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 3:23 AM
  • I'm trying to utilize such a virtual network interface to build up something like a VPN. To be more exactly, I just need  native VNIC in Windows 10 which can be read from and written to.

What exactly does that mean? What sort of functionality would a virtual NIC export that a physical NIC doesn't?

-Brian

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 3:26 AM
  • Hmm... Actually no. However, the point is a virtual one is more flexible and will not affect the use of the local host. It relies on the physical interface, but when we want a VPN, it is kinda difficult to do it with the physical NIC without affecting the original network. 

With a VNIC, we can build up our own private network across the WAN, even hosts behind the NAT. 

So, is there any such thing to use?

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 10:36 PM
  • Windows does not have VNICs such as that; however, there is quite a lot that can be done on Windows, and its network stack is very flexible (probably more so that that of Linux). Everything that you want to accomplish can be done on Windows, but it is not done the Linux way. VPN support is built-in, and easy to use. Use Google or Bing to learn the necessary steps to creating a VPN.

-Brian

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 11:34 PM

-Brian

Yeah I know we can simply make use of the VPN of windows. However, we're now trying to create a multi-platform VPN. Is there any alternative way of doing this?
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 5:01 PM
  • I never wrote that it wasn't possible to add your own VPN functionality to Windows - just that your Linux-centric methodology wouldn't work. There are lots of third-party VPN products for Windows. Most solutions create their own virtual NIC by writing an NDIS miniport driver. You're going to have to learn a lot about the Windows network stack in order to do this. In the WDK samples, there is a virtual miniport driver that can be used as a starting point.

-Brian

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 5:35 PM
  • I never wrote that it wasn't possible to add your own VPN functionality to Windows - just that your Linux-centric methodology wouldn't work. There are lots of third-party VPN products for Windows. Most solutions create their own virtual NIC by writing an NDIS miniport driver. You're going to have to learn a lot about the Windows network stack in order to do this. In the WDK samples, there is a virtual miniport driver that can be used as a starting point.

-Brian

Yeah, there is too much work to be done to write our own driver. And what we're doing now is base our VPN on tun/tap of Windows. However, we want to change it to some VNICs native to Windows rather than third-party products.
    • Edited by CrazyFly Thursday, January 14, 2016 1:49 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 5:57 PM