Issues with driver signing on windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• We have a USB driver which we have signed with our verisign supplied class 3 signing certificate.

I have generated the .cat files for the product and no errors have been reported by Inf2Cat.exe during generation.

I have made sure that everything is signed with signtool and the verification option to signtool states that the files are successfully verified. 

On all other version of windows apart from windows 8.1 the driver can be successfully installed and it accepts the digital signature. On windows 8.1 however the driver fails to load, looking in the event log under security issues it states.

"Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid"

The file in question is the .sys file associated with the driver which signtool has verified as correct?

Do you have any suggestions as to how to further debug this issue and why this is only an issue on windows 8.1?

Friday, November 15, 2013 11:50 AM

Answers

• I installed the windows 8.1 SDK on my windows 8.1 machine and re-ran the signing process using the Verisign cross certificate provided by those tools and our company signing certificate and this is now all working without issue. Previously I was trying to sign from a windows 8 machine which should cause no issues so I will try and track that down. Thanks for your help.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:32 PM

All replies

• Look in setupapi.dev.log for more details. Is your inf also hashed in the catalog file?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 15, 2013 4:30 PM
  • I installed the windows 8.1 SDK on my windows 8.1 machine and re-ran the signing process using the Verisign cross certificate provided by those tools and our company signing certificate and this is now all working without issue. Previously I was trying to sign from a windows 8 machine which should cause no issues so I will try and track that down. Thanks for your help.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:32 PM