none
Is dumpbin included in Visual Studio Community 2015?

Question

• I have VS Community 2015 on two computers. Neither of them seems to include dumpbin.exe. Searching the web, it appears that dumpbin should be installed in the VC\bin folder, but it isn't. Is dumpbin omitted from VS Community?

Sorry if this is a dumb question -- I'm a newbie.  Thanks.

Thursday, November 24, 2016 7:40 PM

Answers

• After a little more poking around, I figured out the answer:  when I installed VS 2015, I asked only for C#, not VC++. Since dumpbin is apparently part of the VC++ toolset, it was not installed.  Modifying my installation to add VC++ caused it and a number of other tools to appear in the VC\bin folder.

• Marked as answer by Roy Levin Saturday, November 26, 2016 8:35 AM
    Saturday, November 26, 2016 8:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Roy Levin,

Please Click Start->Developer Command Prompt for VS2015-> type “dumpbin”

Please refer to the following screenshot:

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Saturday, November 26, 2016 5:38 AM
  • Hi Roy Levin,

And I found the path of dumpbin is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin

Please refer to the following screenshot:

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Saturday, November 26, 2016 5:43 AM
  • Thank you, Oscar.  I checked the VC\bin folder and dumpbin.exe is not there.  I noticed a number of other files listed in your screenshot are also not in my VC\bin.  Can you confirm that you are running the Community Edition of VS 2015?

I checked my second installation (on another computer) and the two VC\bin folders look identical, so it doesn't appear to be an installation anomaly.  If you are running the Community Edition, then I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling to see if the missing files show up.  if you are running a different edition, then perhaps dumpbin.exe and several other executables are deliberately omitted from the Community Edition.

Thanks.

Roy

Saturday, November 26, 2016 6:45 AM
  • After a little more poking around, I figured out the answer:  when I installed VS 2015, I asked only for C#, not VC++. Since dumpbin is apparently part of the VC++ toolset, it was not installed.  Modifying my installation to add VC++ caused it and a number of other tools to appear in the VC\bin folder.

• Marked as answer by Roy Levin Saturday, November 26, 2016 8:35 AM
    Saturday, November 26, 2016 8:35 AM
  • Hi Roy Levin,

Glad to know that you have resolved this issue, and thanks for sharing your solution here. So it would be helpful for other members who meet the same issue as yours.

Have a nice day :)

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

Monday, November 28, 2016 1:37 AM