Issue with my Custom DDEX Provider Specialized for OLE DB RRS feed

• Question

• I have an essentially "codeless" ddex provider specialized for OLE DB per the MSDN docs on this subject. I have DataObjectSupport and DataViewSupport XML files to facilitate enumeration of tables and columns. I do not have a ROOTTYPE but do have the regulation Table and Column types. The DataView is simple: it displays Tables and Columns.

This error is encountered when Oking the Add Connection dialog.

The type '' is unknown to this store

Parameter Name: typeName

I cannot leave the Add Connection screen unless I hit Cancel. 

The error vanishes when I do not advertize the DataObjectSupport XML file. Obviously this has the undesired effect of not populating the Add Table dialog when I invoke New Query. FYI, I can drag and drop tables and columns, execute a query and display the results.

To approach the problem differently, I also created a "real" DDEX provider following the ExtendedProvider sample.  I supplied System.Data.Oledb as the InvariantName for this provider.  With this scenario, the Add Tables dialog now populates the tables and views.  When I move on to "add a data source" via the Data Source wizard, I get the error "Add data source fails: can't find provider factory, System.Data.Oledb". 

Without knowing more, I would prefer not to create a full fledged ADO.Net 2.0 provider to wrap my native OLE DB provider.

Add. Info: I am using the VS 2005 style XML files that seem to work with OLE DB specialized providers, but otherwise I am on VS 2010, Win 7 64, although the native OLE DB provider is 32-bit. Testing with the Exp version of dev studio.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 12:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Subba,

would it be possible for you to post your dataobjectssupport.xml or send it to

<mikewong@microsoft.com> when you get

The type '' is unknown to this store

Parameter Name: typeName

much appreciated,

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Hi Mike

Thanks for chipping in. I am unable to post the XML but will find another way this evening, perhaps via email.

Subba

Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:17 PM