Device Emulator Windows Mobile Device Center Visual Studio 2008 problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WM 5.0 application to run on a MC9090. Because I have an issue with MissingMethodException when running the application on the device I try to run it on the emulator. I have been using the Device Emulator  (VS 2008/Tools/Device Emulator Manager/USA Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC R2 Emulator-connect-cradle) for quite a while now. But today the Emulator does show my application but my application does not connect to my webservice which I host locally.

The Windows Mobile Device Centre is supposed to be the tool that connects the emulator to the world outside the emulator, but it does not do its job. I haven't got a clue. This configuration has been functioning up until a few days ago. I restarted, reconnected, recradled, cleared state, rebooted, but to no avail.

There is nothing wrong with my webservice because I can test that with IE. If a run the application on the MC9090 it does connect to the webservice, but there I have a SqlServerCE issue which was my original problem.

In fact I have two problems:

-running my application on the device (Visual Studio -> Debug -> Deploy) gives an MissingMethodException when the application tries to open the embedded database. Just yesterday morning I was still able to insert records in the sdf file.

- connecting the emulator: it does emulate my application but the application does not "see" the webservice.

Please Help!

PS I still work with Windows Vista, but that was not the problem, in both cases.

PS2 What is the green rectangle thing left of my name?

Kroki -TUDelft

Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:04 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Kroki-TUDelft

Maybe I was not very clear what causes this problem, but I would suggest you to reconnect the Network in the Device Emulator.

1. Run a Device Emulator
    1. Click file menu->Configure->Network->Enable NE2000 PCMCIA network adapter and bind to
    1. Disable it and enable it

Or you can reinstall it.

I hope my suggestion can help you to solve this problem.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, February 14, 2011 2:36 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Kroki-TUDelft

Maybe I was not very clear what causes this problem, but I would suggest you to reconnect the Network in the Device Emulator.

1. Run a Device Emulator
    1. Click file menu->Configure->Network->Enable NE2000 PCMCIA network adapter and bind to
    1. Disable it and enable it

Or you can reinstall it.

I hope my suggestion can help you to solve this problem.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, February 14, 2011 2:36 AM
  • I still have the MissingMethodException when my program tries to open a connection:

using (SqlCeConnection connection = new SqlCeConnection())
                {
                    connection.ConnectionString = ConnectionString();          

connection.Open();

This is not on the emulator but on the actual Motorola MC9090-G

The files sqlce.dev.ENU ... sqlce.ppc.wce5.... sqlce.repl.... are installed at the device level. I had the choice between device and application.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 3:45 PM
  • I have another project to test the device to see whether the failure, the MissingMethodException, is due to something on the device.

But the test project does work with SqlServerCE and the .sdf database file.

So there must be something in the project itself, but it compiles without error and the references to System.Data and System.Data.SqlServerCe are exactly

the same.

Friday, March 4, 2011 12:34 PM