none
I want to use Windows minifilter to redirect the IO operation target volumn RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi every one, I want to ask how to use minifilter to redirect IO operation target volumn, I already tried targetInstance and targetfilename, but system crashed down. could anyone give me some example on how to config IO_Parameter_Block->TargetInstance or TargetFileName. Does WDK provide such example? Please let me know!
    Monday, November 12, 2012 6:19 PM

All replies

• method with changing TargetInstance have some complications:

1) You must redirect only to instance of yourself minifilter at same altitude.

2) In stack for different volume may have not enough IO_STACK_LOCATION for specific IRP and you have BSOD in this situation i think (read this article for more details - http://fsfilters.blogspot.ru/2011/09/file-io-redirection-between-volumes.html)

3) Also not forgot mark callback data as dirty

But if you can redirect not only some io operations, but all operations - in this situation you can change FILE_OBJECT->FileName (with full path with volume name) and return STATUS_REPARSE in pre-create callback. This much easier than first approach.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:21 AM
  • Really thanks your reply, I want to ask if I want to change not only the volumn target, but also the file direction. I don't want to use the iopb->filetarge as my data destination. I want to do more lower level, I want to write or read data from Disk LBA (logic block address), could windows minifilter can do that? or there should be other lower level driver to do such staff. Does WDK has some exp to write file as block and write to storage as logic block address of disk?

Thank you!

Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:26 PM