Club Site Starter Kit and SQL 2000 RRS feed

• Question

• User1894383654 posted
    How do i get the club starter kit to work with sql 2000?
    I saw the previous post about the connection string but i cant figure out how to get the database tables created in sql...

I do not have sql express installed so i have no way of coping the tables over.
    Friday, June 3, 2005 12:13 AM

All replies

• User1802826142 posted
    Hi Nathan,
    To create the tables in SQL 2000, i performed the following:

• Create a blank database in SQL 2000 using enterprise manager called CLUB
    • Download ClubAdd.exe from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0DD83A11-6980-4951-A192-DA6EACC6A19E&displaylang=en
    • Run ClubAdd.exe and it will spit out a file called club-add.sql and a Eula.txt file
    • Run the club-add.sql file in query analyser against your newly created database
    This will create the necessary tables for you.

You may need to add the aspnetdb for storing profiles if you have not already done this. I performed this as follows:

• Create a blank database in SQL 2000 using enterprise manager called ASPNETDB
    • Run aspnet_regsql.exe from the .net framework install directory
    • This produces a wizard the allows you to populate and register the ASPNETDB for asp.nets use
    This will create the profile database structure for you

You will need to then change the database connection strings in the web.config of the club site to match the above two databases. Using the example database names above and the example server name of  "DEVSQL01" with a "sa" login and a "yourpassword" password i performed this as follows:

My connection strings portion of the web.config now looks as follows:

<connectionStrings>

<add name="ClubSiteDB" connectionString="Data Source=DEVSQL01;Initial Catalog=CLUB;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Password=yourpassword"       providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
     <remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>
     <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=DEVSQL01;Initial Catalog=ASPNETDB;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Password=yourpassword" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

</connectionStrings>

That should then give you connectivity

Hope that helps

Friday, June 3, 2005 9:46 AM
  • User1894383654 posted
    MrWilder,
    You are my hero for the week!

Thanks for the information.
    Friday, June 3, 2005 12:02 PM
  • User1968586829 posted
    is there any easy way of getting the aspnetdb created on my webhost with ASP.NET 2.0 Beta and SQL2000?  I have created the clubsite database, but I am not sure how to get the aspnetdb database setup.  Also, in Visual Web Developer, there is a ASP.NET configurator page that you can access.  Is there any easy way of accessing this page on your host or is it something they have to setup?
    Friday, June 10, 2005 6:01 PM
  • User1416329745 posted
    If you have Enterprise Manager access at the host database you can script your database and execute it in Query Analyzer at the host database and you have your database created.  Hope this helps.
    Friday, June 10, 2005 6:42 PM
  • User1968586829 posted

is the aspnetdb database just used for profiles, etc? Or is there something that needs to be specially configured for it? How can I script my database locally so I can use it on the query manager of my enterprise manager on my host? I have SQL Express, but my host is SQL 2000.  Is there a free version of SQL 2000, that I can install locally, and convert the Express DB to 2000 and then put it into the query analyzer? Thanks for the help.

Friday, June 10, 2005 7:12 PM
  • User1416329745 posted

Yes there is a free version of SQL Server 2000 the eval good for 120 days and you need to download  Express manager a separate download and install it.   To script it in SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager right click on the database and click on create scripts and you will have the create database statement which you can run at the hosting company.  I think most gives you Enterprise Manager access.  Try the links below to download.  Hope this helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/2005/productinfo/ctp.mspx#EBAA

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/trial/default.mspx

Friday, June 10, 2005 7:45 PM
  • User1968586829 posted
     How about any information for using the ASP.NET web site administration tool.  Is it possible to access page when you have all of the files uploaded to your host? Is this a link that they should provide? Just in case your not sure what I'm talking about....its the page that allows you to manipulate role and users, etc.  Thanks for all the help. I sincerely appreciate it!
    Friday, June 10, 2005 7:51 PM
  • User1416329745 posted
    I am not sure but I think you are talking about hosting conpany Control Panels where you can login and make changes to your site.  That you have to research by reading posts related to hosting on this site.  I think there are different versions and I don't know.  Hope this helps.
    Friday, June 10, 2005 7:58 PM
  • User1416329745 posted
    I was wrong found what you were looking for try the link below for a tutorial.  Hope this helps.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsse/html/VWD_SSE.asp
    Sunday, June 12, 2005 7:18 PM
  • User1968586829 posted
    Well it seems that I have all the databases (clubsite and aspnetdb) converted to MS SQL 2000 and users with permissions set.  I keep getting the following error however:

Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.

I am not really sure how to created a trusted SQL Server connection, but I hope im pretty close to getting this dialed in. Can anyone assist me at all?

Just for your info, I created scripts and ran them on my web server, changed the connection strings and I get a error like this:

Invalid object name 'dbo.Events'.
    Invalid object name 'dbo.Locations'.

I believe it refers to the clubsite db, so I am going to redo it, but I would like to get the testing set up locally with my SQL 2000 Server to get it all set up. Thanks for all the help.
    Monday, June 13, 2005 1:14 AM
  • User1416329745 posted
    The quick way to do it is use the Datalink property in Visual Studio to connect with Windows Authentication and then change the connection to SQL permissions SQL Server will use the Windows authentication to complete the SQL authetication.  I am assuming you know you have to create an account with DBO(database owner) permissions  Clubsite database in SQL Server which you will use to create the connection. Hope this helps.
    Monday, June 13, 2005 9:54 AM
  • User-1052599149 posted
    Followed you steps but I still the following

HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi Nathan,
    To create the tables in SQL 2000, i performed the following:

• Create a blank database in SQL 2000 using enterprise manager called CLUB
    • Download ClubAdd.exe from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0DD83A11-6980-4951-A192-DA6EACC6A19E&displaylang=en
    • Run ClubAdd.exe and it will spit out a file called club-add.sql and a Eula.txt file
    • Run the club-add.sql file in query analyser against your newly created database
    This will create the necessary tables for you.

You may need to add the aspnetdb for storing profiles if you have not already done this. I performed this as follows:

• Create a blank database in SQL 2000 using enterprise manager called ASPNETDB
    • Run aspnet_regsql.exe from the .net framework install directory
    • This produces a wizard the allows you to populate and register the ASPNETDB for asp.nets use
    This will create the profile database structure for you

You will need to then change the database connection strings in the web.config of the club site to match the above two databases. Using the example database names above and the example server name of  "DEVSQL01" with a "sa" login and a "yourpassword" password i performed this as follows:

My connection strings portion of the web.config now looks as follows:

<connectionStrings>

<add name="ClubSiteDB" connectionString="Data Source=DEVSQL01;Initial Catalog=CLUB;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Password=yourpassword"       providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
     <remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>
     <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=DEVSQL01;Initial Catalog=ASPNETDB;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Password=yourpassword" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

</connectionStrings>

That should then give you connectivity

Hope that helps

Monday, July 18, 2005 4:25 PM
  • User1416329745 posted

404 error is IIS related the direction I was giving was for SQL Server, I just got these links see if the info make any difference.  Hope this helps.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/clubwebsitesk.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/extendclubwebsitesk.asp

Monday, July 18, 2005 5:53 PM
  • User-1405037831 posted
    Anyone help please. 

I downloaded and installed the club starter kit on my local pc, totally fine.  Next i uploaded it to my server, installed .net 2 b2 etc, and i get nothing but errors.

The events page won't display properly but it does locally on my pc

Users can register but can't login as the profiles db keeps getting set as read-only and when i right click both the App_Data folder or files and reset permissions, this doesn't fix it.

Has anyone else got any ideas?

the address (to see errors etc yourself is www.frazelamont.co.uk)

thanks,

FraZe
    Saturday, August 6, 2005 12:19 PM
  • User1946081430 posted
    OK, I set up the databases and connections strings and got them both connected. They show up in the connections folder and make a connection when tested. However whenever I double click on the clubsite.mdf or aspnetdb.mdf file - I get an error message saying I need to have SQLExpress installed. When I use the Web App manager, the provider test button works - but if I click on the security tab I get an error message.  This may be a vey newbie question - but how do I get the .mdf files to access the sql 2000 data?
    Thursday, September 29, 2005 12:50 PM
  • User1416329745 posted

The connection to SQL Server 2000 is covered by Mr Wilder the second post on this thread but you need the T-SQL code to create those database for SQL Server 2000 for that try the link below to download the code.  Hope this helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0DD83A11-6980-4951-A192-DA6EACC6A19E&displaylang=en

Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:53 PM
  • User1946081430 posted
    Thanks Caddre,
    I have followedMr. Wilders steps and have created to databases that show up in the VWD database explorer.  I ran the add database scripts as well.  So I can see them in the explorer and they test OK when I go into the modify prompt.  However, I'm confused as to how to get these databases into the App_Data folder. The two databses that are originally in there have .mdf extensions. If I double click on them - it says you can only access them with SQL Express.  I tried changing the extensison to no avail, as well as deleting them.  I had to copy them back from an earlier backup. When I go into the asp.net configuration manager - I can go to the use single provider tab and run a succesful test.

If I hit F5 from VWD to try and run the site locally, I get the following error:
    Invalid object name 'Announcements'.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 7:38 PM
  • User1946081430 posted
    UPDATE:
    Turned out the org scripts I ran were wrong - I'm guessing they were for the personal website. Interesting though - I could have sworn I donwloaded them from a link to MSDN site - and the file names were "clubsite". Go figure. I downloaded the scripts again at the site noted above and reran the scripts.  Correct tables were created.  Once the tables were correct - everything seems to work. The databases do not need to be in the App_data folder - you just have to have them connected via the database explorere and change your connection scripts.

After I got it working on local - I made the jump to dotnetpark.com and uplaoded via copy function using FTP in VWD. Of course it didn;t work. Got that crazy server error stating that I needed to change the error mode if I wanted to see the error message. Of course the error message was set correctly - so I wasted some time trying to figure out the problem.  I found something in one of these posts about having to set up the virtual directory on your local server. Dotnetpark.com allows you to set up virtual directory (as well as edit files from their control panel) - but it still didn;t work. I dropped them a note asking them to set up the virtual directory and they either corrected my attempt - or did something because everything started to work.

Unfortunately I didn't document my database security problems which might have helped earlier posts. Basically, I had to set up the access rights for the database in the SQL server enterprise manager. I used the free temp download noted earlier. Then modify the database conections in the database explorer to use the SQL authentication.  Then comes the tricky part - I found a link to msdn in one of the forums that brought me to a section to check some registry entries. I had to manually change one of the registry entries to 0 or 2 - it was set to 1.  AFter that all worked fine. Perhaps someone else went through this as well and can provide a link to the msdn article that has the instructions.

Sunday, October 2, 2005 12:04 PM
  • User1732183692 posted

Invalid object name 'dbo.Events'.
    Invalid object name 'dbo.Locations'.

I just went into every aspx page and removed the reference to dbo, it worked fine after that. 

I'm using the same setup with a hosted SQL server instead of SQL Express. 

Thursday, October 6, 2005 7:04 PM
  • User-1092667132 posted
    Hello Guys!

I installed the database of ClubSite on SQL Server 2000.

That's OK!

But I can't insert any event, article or a photo.

What can I do?

Rui

Monday, October 17, 2005 5:07 PM
  • User1732183692 posted

With the Web Site Administration Tool, create a new role called Administrators and then assign your user login to this role.  Also you'll need to give the Administrators role access to the root of the application directory. 

When you're done with this stuff, you should have access to all the admin functions.

If you check out the web.config file, you can see where all security is setup with access to the Administrators role.

Monday, October 17, 2005 9:00 PM
  • User1946081430 posted

Probably another stupid question, but when I open my site in VS2005 using FTP connection to hosted server the asp.net configuration tool is not available in the menu under the website menu. 

Another note on roles - make certain you use "Administrators" as the id of the role you create - there is a sub in some pages that look for this exact role which determines if you will see the link to add items. here's a copy from the photoalbum_list page.

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)

panel1.Visible = User.IsInRole("Administrators")

End Sub

Monday, October 17, 2005 10:20 PM