How to select windows IoT enterprise customisation tool, WSIM or ICD? RRS feed

• Question

• Which tool is the correct selection to build OEM windows10 enterprise build and deply to multiple instrument?

WSIM is Windows system image manager and can customise windows image under audit mode or some other situation. But from MS website, we can see the introduction on ICD tool, it is also a deploy software. So how to select? waht is the advantage and disadvantage for each tool? 

Microsoft has too much tools and documents which make me confused. Please help.

Best Regards,

QiuHao

Thursday, March 12, 2020 8:37 AM

Answers

• WSIM is the preferred tool.  Though there is some information on ICD, there are also issues with ICD and support is questionable. 

Thursday, March 12, 2020 2:36 PM
  • you would have to look things up on docs.microsoft.com, but it is more of the basic instructions, where the online video (youtube) and my book put the story together.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Marked as answer by QIUH Friday, April 24, 2020 1:53 PM
    Sunday, April 12, 2020 6:42 PM

All replies

• WSIM is the preferred tool.  Though there is some information on ICD, there are also issues with ICD and support is questionable. 

Thursday, March 12, 2020 2:36 PM
  • Use Windows System Image Manager! ICD is only for creating provision packages for UWP applications.

Be aware: The process outlined in Microsoft docs to create custom image by importing items into install.wim is flawed and not best for long term support. It is better to create a distribution share where all features to be included into the image will reside.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Friday, March 13, 2020 3:12 PM
  • Use Windows System Image Manager! ICD is only for creating provision packages for UWP applications.

Be aware: The process outlined in Microsoft docs to create custom image by importing items into install.wim is flawed and not best for long term support. It is better to create a distribution share where all features to be included into the image will reside.

Sean, Thanks very much for your professional information. I create distribute share folder to include all board drivers for installation, which is located at out-of-box drivers, but I find that the OEM application setup files was not gettable, and the $OEM$ Folders is not valid in WSIM tool.  Maybe I doesnot get the point in Windows10 IoT because some project settings are from WES7. 

Qiu Hao

Friday, April 3, 2020 1:34 AM
  • My book and some online videos cover the details. When you go to create a configuration set, you will then be able to select the $OEM$ Folder. This is different than what was done in WES7, where you could add the $OEM$ Folder to the answer file. The idea is to support different projects for the same hardware.

Sunday, April 5, 2020 3:38 PM
  • When you go to create a configuration set, you will then be able to select the $OEM$ Folder. This is different than what was done in WES7, where you could add the $OEM$ Folder to the answer file. The idea is to support different projects for the same hardware.

Hello again.. about this Topic developed some workaround and script which somewhat recreates the function.
    You add 1 command in the XML that will run while after the first reboot and than copies all files over to the right partition. It's controlled by a Txt File which contain the folders you want to copy which are located in your "old" WES7 structure. :)

I will release it with an example... like in the next week or so.

Windows Embedded Standard 7 / Windows 10 (IoT) Client Engineer/Architect //Germany

Monday, April 6, 2020 1:43 AM
  • My book and some online videos cover the details. When you go to create a configuration set, you will then be able to select the $OEM$ Folder. This is different than what was done in WES7, where you could add the $OEM$ Folder to the answer file. The idea is to support different projects for the same hardware.

Ok. Thanks for your response.  Does Microsoft provide any learning document about the configuration set creation steps?

QH

Sunday, April 12, 2020 8:10 AM
  • When you go to create a configuration set, you will then be able to select the $OEM$ Folder. This is different than what was done in WES7, where you could add the $OEM$ Folder to the answer file. The idea is to support different projects for the same hardware.

Hello again.. about this Topic developed some workaround and script which somewhat recreates the function.
    You add 1 command in the XML that will run while after the first reboot and than copies all files over to the right partition. It's controlled by a Txt File which contain the folders you want to copy which are located in your "old" WES7 structure. :)

I will release it with an example... like in the next week or so.

Windows Embedded Standard 7 / Windows 10 (IoT) Client Engineer/Architect //Germany

That 's great. I expect to study your example cases. Thanks.

QH

Sunday, April 12, 2020 8:11 AM
  • you would have to look things up on docs.microsoft.com, but it is more of the basic instructions, where the online video (youtube) and my book put the story together.

• Marked as answer by QIUH Friday, April 24, 2020 1:53 PM
    Sunday, April 12, 2020 6:42 PM