What is the best way to handle restoring the FutureAccessList for a reinstalled or updated Windows 8 app?

Question

• I have an application that process files in folders that are chosen by the user via FilePicker and those parent folders are added to FutureAccessList so I can access that folder in the future and all that works just fine.  If the user uninstalls and reinstalls the app or updates the app they can re-import processing data which also works fine. 

The problem is that this re-imported data now has references to folders that are no longer in the FutureAccessList so when they go to do more processing on the files we have an access issue.

I am assuming that there is no way to have the FutureAccessList persist through reinstalls or upgrades so what is the best way to handle this situation.  I can easily get a list of all the folders the user needs to grant me access to and default the FilePicker to each of those for easy picking but this seems really awkward and I would have to really spell out what is going on for the user prior to popping up the FilePicker.

Short of being able to persist FutureAccessList across reinstall or updates the next best/better thing than FilePicker brute force would be a System UI that allowed me to give it a list of things I want the user to reapprove access to.

Thoughts?

-Russ

-Russ

Sunday, April 27, 2014 3:26 PM

Answers

• The FutureAccessList will persist across upgrades. All app data is cleared when the app is uninstalled, but not when it is updated.

There's no good way to batch request permissions to add to the FutureAccessList. I'd just be clear on import that the user will need to grant permission to access the folders and offer to loop through the FokderPicker. If you can identify the minimum root folders needed that can reduce the picking (ultimately the user could grant access to everything on the system, but I'd probably uninstall an app which requested that outright).

Since this should only be needed rarely (most people don't uninstall and then reinstall apps) it won't be a big deal if it's a bit cumbersome. Just be clear to the users what is going on.

--Rob

Sunday, April 27, 2014 3:53 PM
    Owner