Blend 3 References problems RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a problem with Blend 3 (It was happening in Blend 2, but I just upgraded in hopes of it going away), when I open my solution in Blend 3 and open a user control that I've created I get errors saying that core references are missing or not supported.  My solution opens in Visual Studio 2008 fine and compiles (it actually compiles in Blend 3!), but I can't edit my controls, etc.

Here is a picture for reference: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43540779@N07/4009180255/

One of the errors: "UserControl is not supported in a Windows Presentation Foundation project"

I have browsed to all the references manually and it fixes it for that session of editing the solution, if I close Blend 3 and re-open the solution, the references can't be found anymore.  If I hover over the missing reference the tool tip is pointing to my solutions directory to look for the dll!  Why does Blend keep forgetting where to look for references to load?

Anyone have this problem or know how I can fix this?
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:13 PM

Answers

• I just figured it out.  I removed the configuration "Any CPU" from the configuration manager a while back, haven't used Blend since.  By adding the "Any CPU" configuration back in with the configuration manager and then set my configuration to x86 I was able to open the project in Blend 3 and all the references were fine.  It seems that Blend needs to have the the configurations CREATED, doesn't mean you have to use them, just have them there or else Blend will get upset.

This article led me down the path to try out the configuration changes: http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/blend/thread/0267b631-30a0-4922-b68c-5097518c4758

Thanks for the help Navit, remember this when supporting in the future, or better yet, can you put the word into the Blend developers to not be so picky over the build configuration settings?

Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by ScottN79 Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:12 PM
    • Edited by ScottN79 Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:13 PM Typo, grammar
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,
            Can you please share some more info with us?

1. What are missing references, are these SDK assemblies or assemblies that you have created?
    2. Can you please share a small repro with us? It is possible that hint path for the assemblies are messed up and Blend is not able to find them.

If you can send a small repro project, I can try helping you.

Thanks,
    Navit Saxena
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:00 PM
  • I'd love to share more info wherever needed.

1. What are missing references, are these SDK assemblies or assemblies that you have created?

Here is a new image , you could see the same in the other image, but this new one shows the tool tip, these are standard references used for WPF (PresentationCore.dll, System.dll, etc).  Also note, that it seems to be finding my project references just fine.

2. Can you please share a small repro with us? It is possible that hint path for the assemblies are messed up and Blend is not able to find them.

I cannot reproduce the problem in another project/solution, every other WPF project I open has the references loaded fine.  Sorry, I cannot send this project or solution as a test.  I wish I could easily re-produce this and send another project.

Anything I can look for in the solution/project files?
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:14 PM
  • Here is another image that shows another project of mine with the tool tip showing the correct path.  What makes Blend 3 look in a different area for the DLLs in the problematic project?
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Hi,
           I will be interested how these core assemblies are being referenced? Can you please check this:

1. Right click on project in Blend and select "Open folder in Windows Explorer"
    2. Open the project file (.vbproj or .csproj) in notepad
    3. In References check if these missing assemblies have any hint path specified with it?

Its ok if you can not send us your project but if you can just send the project file (.vbproj /.csproj) we might be able to identify the issue.

You can send it at navits at microsoft dot com

Regards,
    Navit Saxena
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:16 PM
  • Thanks for the project file, I checked the assemby references in your project and it looks wrong to me. The references in your project files has following entries:

<Reference Include="PresentationCore.dll">
          <HintPath>C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\PresentationCore.dll</HintPath>
        </Reference>
        <Reference Include="PresentationFramework.Aero.dll">
          <HintPath>C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\PresentationFramework.Aero.dll</HintPath>
        </Reference>
        <Reference Include="PresentationFramework.dll">
          <HintPath>C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\PresentationFramework.dll</HintPath>
        </Reference>
        <Reference Include="System.Core.dll">
          <HintPath>C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\System.Core.dll</HintPath>
        </Reference>
        <Reference Include="System.Data.DataSetExtensions.dll">
          <HintPath>C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\System.Data.DataSetExtensions.dll</HintPath>
        </Reference>
        <Reference Include="System.Data.dll">
          <HintPath>C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Data.dll</HintPath>
        </Reference>
        <Reference Include="System.dll">
          <HintPath>C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.dll</HintPath>
        </Reference>

Fix: If you remove these hintpaths and re-load the project in Blend, I am pretty sure we will be able to resolve these references.
    I will also be interested in knowing couple of more things.

1. Can you please check if these hintpaths are valid? I believe they are not else we should have resolved it correctly.
    2. I would be interested in knowing how hint paths were added for these assemblies? Did you add these references again in VS or manually edited the project file to add the hint paths?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Navit Saxena

Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:07 PM
  • I just figured it out.  I removed the configuration "Any CPU" from the configuration manager a while back, haven't used Blend since.  By adding the "Any CPU" configuration back in with the configuration manager and then set my configuration to x86 I was able to open the project in Blend 3 and all the references were fine.  It seems that Blend needs to have the the configurations CREATED, doesn't mean you have to use them, just have them there or else Blend will get upset.

This article led me down the path to try out the configuration changes: http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/blend/thread/0267b631-30a0-4922-b68c-5097518c4758

Thanks for the help Navit, remember this when supporting in the future, or better yet, can you put the word into the Blend developers to not be so picky over the build configuration settings?

Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by ScottN79 Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:12 PM
    • Edited by ScottN79 Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:13 PM Typo, grammar
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:11 PM