Asp.net programs no longer working RRS feed

• Question

• User1361072610 posted

Yesterday, I downloaded the ASP.Net Framework 4.0 Standalone and installed it on my computer which has a Windows XP Pro Operating system.  Today, when I tried to run a simple program like Hello.aspx (below) under Inetpub/wwwroot it doesn’t execute.  Should I uninstall the 4.0 Standalone or is there a way to make this simple program work with 4.0.

Please help.

Thanks,

Robin

<%@ Page Language="VB" %>

<html>

<body>

<script runat="server">

Dim strHelloString As String

Sub Page_Load(obj as object, e as eventargs)

DisplayHelloWorld()

Test()

End Sub  

Function DisplayHelloWorld()

strHelloString = "Hello World"

Response.Write ("Hello World" & "<P>")

Response.Write(strHelloString & "<P>")

End Function

Function Test()

End Function

</script>

<%= "Hello" %>

</body>

</html>

Friday, March 1, 2013 8:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• User281315223 posted

Is there any chance that your operating system is actually Windows XP Professional (Reduced Media Edition)? According to the Supported Operating Systems chart available here, the Reduced Media Edition is not supported with Visual Studio 4.0. 

If you are using just plain Windows XP Professional, it should be supported just fine. Does your application work using .NET 3.5?

You might want to ensure that you also have the latest Service Pack available for your operating system as well.

Friday, March 1, 2013 8:50 AM
  • User595841651 posted

Define "Doesn't Work"

Is there an error? What happens?

Friday, March 1, 2013 8:50 AM
  • User1361072610 posted

There is no indication that it is a Reduced Media Edition.  Up to this point, I have been using Classic ASP.  Since ASP.Net is object oriented and is capable of doing things Classic ASP can not, I thought I'd give it a try.  I haven't used any utilities like Visual Studio.  When I look at

c:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework

I see:

v1.0.3705

v1.1.4322

v2.0.5.0727

v3.0

v3.5

v4.0.30319

I thought I was using 2.0.  The operating system has Service Pack 3.

Robin

Friday, March 1, 2013 9:12 AM
  • User1361072610 posted

Curt,

In Internet Explorer in the address bar I enter:

http://localhost/HelloWorld/helloworld.aspx

I get Internet Explorer cannot display the web page

My Classic ASP projects work fine.

Robin

Friday, March 1, 2013 9:16 AM
  • User235106362 posted

I think you need to install .net into IIS with the aspnet_regiis command. If IIS was installed before .net it won't be registered/installed. 

If you run a web project in visual studio with the built in web server it should work right?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k6h9cz8h(v=vs.100).aspx

Friday, March 1, 2013 9:19 AM
  • User-760709272 posted

Download a free version of Visual Studio and write and test your code in that.  It has a publish option which will then copy all the required things to your target directory, or you can get it to create the IIS directory for you and it'll be properly set up.  Your code might not be working as the site isn't set up for the right version of .net in the app pool.

Friday, March 1, 2013 9:28 AM
  • User-1716253493 posted
    you need to configure iis to use appropriate net version to run the application. usualy app_pool but I'm not sure in xp
    Friday, March 1, 2013 9:55 AM
  • User1361072610 posted

I downloaded Visual Studio Express 2010 to a Flash drive. 

The file name is VS2010Express1.iso 

The file size is app. 710 MB. 

When I double click it, I get 

Copy Utility

Disk Image File: 

F:\Visual Studio Express 2010\VS2010Express1.iso 

How am I supposed to install the iso file?

Robin

Saturday, March 2, 2013 8:58 AM
  • User281315223 posted

You will need a utility that can propertly mount an .iso file (which is basically an image of a CD / DVD). Once mounted, your Operating System will recognize it as a Disk Drive and allow you to run it as you would a normal disk.

Check out this article that discusses the process of mounting ISO files within Windows and provides several options that you can use. Although it isn't mentioned in that article, you may also want to consider using ISODisk, which is freeware as well.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 9:05 AM
  • User235106362 posted

I like 7Zip. Free and works with isos.

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Saturday, March 2, 2013 9:08 AM
  • User1361072610 posted

I downloaded and installed ISODisk but have no idea how it works. 

I typed in the location of the Visual Studio Express iso file next to Disk A.  However, all I see is a close button. 

The website says something about seeing the contents of the ISO file on Internet Explorer.  I have no idea how this works.

FYI, I had negative results with Daemon lite which installed a signifcant amount of Adware on my computer.  I was very upset by this.  It took me over 2 hours to delete it and it also changed my home page for Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox which I changed back. I never downloaded the Deamon lite program and after this experience would never consider anything from that company.  Although ISOBuster may be a free download, you have to pay for it to extract the ISO file. 

Robin

Saturday, March 2, 2013 6:16 PM
  • User465171450 posted

I usually use http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html to mount an iso on non-windows 8 systems or ISOBuster (http://www.isobuster.com/isobuster.php) that for most ISOs let's me extract them into files. I prever the virtual clonedrive by slysoft as it mounts much simpler.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 7:06 PM
  • User281315223 posted

As markfitzme and the link within my post suggested, you should definately check out Virtual CloneDrive. The article that I posted in my last post features a tutorial on using it (which is pretty straight-forward).

Have you also considered using an online installer version if available? (I'm not sure where you downloaded yours from, but it is usually an available option.)

Saturday, March 2, 2013 8:10 PM
  • User1027872733 posted

an .iso file (which is basically an image of a CD / DVD).

no need for  mounting

simply download winrar . It is free download

then select .iso it will convert to some directory eg visual studio 2012

then do as you wish

thanking you

Saturday, March 2, 2013 8:51 PM
  • User-1716253493 posted
    if you dont know how to use magicdisk,daemontool etc. insert blank cd/dvd then burn it by double click the iso file
    Sunday, March 3, 2013 10:47 AM