Due date in Gantt chart view of SharePoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have added a new task in “Project Task” type of list in SharePoint 2010 with following settings.

Title : One

Start Date: 23-Dec-10 (Thursday)

Due Date: 25-Dec-10 (Saturday)

When we view this task in Gantt chart it span only for two days. 23 and 24 only. It is not showing for 25<sup>th</sup>.

If we add item with the same values in SharePoint 2007, Gantt chart view span for three days 23<sup>rd</sup> to 25<sup>th</sup>.

Is it an issue with SP 2010?

Thursday, December 23, 2010 12:23 PM

Answers

• I get the same result.

This is occuring because by default, the Due date field is configured to be Date only versus Date and Time.  Therefore, it is treating the due date as December 25, 2010 at 12:00am.  So based on that the display is accurate even though I can understand why you would expect it to show the 25th within the range. 

If you change the Due Date to Date and Time and then as an example set the due date to December 25, 2010 at 10PM, you will notice that by zooming in to the hour level view of the Gantt chart, your display will actually reflect that.  I am not suggesting that you change your Due Date to Date and Time as it may not be practical but it may help better explain what is occuring.

Hope this helps!

Shane

Shane Perran www.graphicalwonder.com
    • Marked as answer by GuYuming Tuesday, December 28, 2010 10:13 AM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 2:00 PM

All replies

• I get the same result.

This is occuring because by default, the Due date field is configured to be Date only versus Date and Time.  Therefore, it is treating the due date as December 25, 2010 at 12:00am.  So based on that the display is accurate even though I can understand why you would expect it to show the 25th within the range. 

If you change the Due Date to Date and Time and then as an example set the due date to December 25, 2010 at 10PM, you will notice that by zooming in to the hour level view of the Gantt chart, your display will actually reflect that.  I am not suggesting that you change your Due Date to Date and Time as it may not be practical but it may help better explain what is occuring.

Hope this helps!

Shane

Shane Perran www.graphicalwonder.com
    • Marked as answer by GuYuming Tuesday, December 28, 2010 10:13 AM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 2:00 PM
  • I am also facing the same issue.

@Shane: You are right but can you pl suggest any other solution instead of Date and Time.

I also found that this issue occurs in SP 2010 only. Pl let me know if anyone has the solution for the same.

Thank You!

Tapan

Friday, December 24, 2010 8:46 AM
  • I think this is a problem with project tasks. It should observe the working day format in regional settings but it does not (uses standard calendar day). You may be interested to know that data synched from MS Project looks better in SP Gantt view (you also have options to determine working days and times in MSP and it seems to mark 6 am to 12 pm as start/end).
    AK
    Friday, December 24, 2010 1:36 PM