developing userinterface for industrial application using windows forms RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

It looks like the toolbox in winforms show  very limited interactive symbols/tags. Is it true or I am unfamiliar with some other place where I could find more interactive symbols to use on my user interface?

Is it possible to draw free drawings on winforms like we can do in Powerpoint and is it possible to make it respond to user action?

Are there industrial symbols such as LED, motors, Switches available which I can use straightaway?

Many thanks for help !

AustinCann
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:51 PM

Answers

• OK.

So you want a picture of a machine and some buttons with pictures on them.

Yep, you can do that.  You're best creating the picture separately and then just loading it into a control rather than trying to programmatically create it.

You can dynamically create controls such as buttons and load pictures.

And.. if the functionality of controls doesn't quite suit you then you can override code and create your own.

And line graphs are possible.

I think your first step ought to be investing in a book on winforms development.

• Marked as answer by AustinCann Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:45 AM
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:54 AM

All replies

• I don't follow the question.

In the toolbox there are controls.  They're not symbols or tags.  Drag a button control out the toolbox onto a form in design mode and you get a button control on the form.

Once you've done that you could possibly then set a picture as the background on a button.

Is that what you mean?

Do you just want some graphic art for buttons?

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Thanks Andy

This will be helpful- setting picture as the background on a button.

Now what if I want to develop also the drawing which shows a picture/representation -like those we could develop in powerpoint or paint. Can I draw drawings in winforms as a representation? then having buttons and text at various points updating regularly could really assist user know what is happening. I am basically designing user interface for a machine and it will help to have a drawing of machine along with buttons and controls for understanding various parts of machine.

Plus I need to display some data on line graphs. The only graphs I have found are bar graphs. Can I display data on line graphs using winforms?

Many thanks for help

AustinCann
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 4:01 PM
  • OK.

So you want a picture of a machine and some buttons with pictures on them.

Yep, you can do that.  You're best creating the picture separately and then just loading it into a control rather than trying to programmatically create it.

You can dynamically create controls such as buttons and load pictures.

And.. if the functionality of controls doesn't quite suit you then you can override code and create your own.

And line graphs are possible.

I think your first step ought to be investing in a book on winforms development.

• Marked as answer by AustinCann Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:45 AM
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:54 AM