none
Active Directory Restore Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I have a machine1 on which the Operating System is Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition (Service Pack 2).

This is the Domain Controller on which Microsoft Exchange 2003 is installed.

I want to perform backup of this machine1 using VSS (application specific writers for AD and System State) and restore it on the machine2 with same configuration.

I am able to take the backup of this machine1 using VSS based application.

I have another machine2 with same number of partitions and same OS installed.  Also, it is a Domain Controller and Microsoft Exchange 2003 is installed on it.

I just want to restore the System State Backup and AD backup of machine1 on machine2 using VSS.  As I am interested in restoring the Active Directory,  I have to restore the System State backup.

To restore the backup, I start the machine2 in the active directory restore mode and then perform the restoration operation using VSS. Here, I have observed that there are some writers which requires custom restore operation. This means I need to perform some more steps to achieve this rather than just using VSS writer for restore. I don't found any informaion/documentation on which all custom steps needs to be perfromed for AD and system state restore.

Although, without these custom steps when restoration operation performed using VSS and When i restart the machine2, i get the error message as

"Directory services could not start because of the following error:  The specified network password is not correct.  Error Status : 0xc000006a.  Please Click ok to shutdown this system and reboot into directory services restore mode, check the event log for more detailed information."

and the machine does not starts normally, it continue to restart.

please help me to resolve this problem.

Thanks.

Monday, May 11, 2009 10:45 AM

All replies