error working with Database Diagrams RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running SQL-2016 on data that was moved from SQL-2005 a few months ago. From SSMS I can't modify or create new database diagrams.

When I try to Modify an existing database diagram I get the error:

"Internal Error, invalid pane configuration (MS Visual Database Tools)"

I can add a new diagram, but then when I try to save it I get:

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (System.Data)."

There are only two existing Diagrams and there are only a few tables. So I could delete everything and start over it that is an option. Or if anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate hearing them.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 11:48 PM

Answers

• Hi GordonPrince4575,

Seems that something is broken on your machine, I would recommend you repair the SQL Server instance, or uninstall SSMS and reinstall it, then check if the issue still persists.

To repair SQL Server, please review this article: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646006.aspx .

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:17 AM

All replies

• What version of SSMS?  Have you tried the latest production and pre-release versions?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms

David

Microsoft Technology Center - Dallas
    My blog

Thursday, March 2, 2017 12:17 AM
  • Hi GordonPrince4575,

Seems that something is broken on your machine, I would recommend you repair the SQL Server instance, or uninstall SSMS and reinstall it, then check if the issue still persists.

To repair SQL Server, please review this article: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646006.aspx .

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:17 AM
  • The latest production version of SSMS 16.5.3.
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:15 PM
  • It's doing it on two different machines. On the production machine it has the problem. If I restore a backup of the production database to my development machine (with its own SQL-Server and SSMS), the problem persists.

On both machines, database diagrams work on another database that was backed up from a SQL-2005 system and restored a couple of months ago (to the SQL-2016 machine). So it seems to be only this one database.

I just tried a couple of other things, which confuse things a bit further to me. Yesterday I couldn't create a new database diagram on the production machine. This morning I tried, though, and it let me create a new diagram with three tables in it. Save and close. But then it won't let me edit it (same error as on the other two diagrams that I started the post about). When I check the Keys on the two tables on the new diagram that I created foreign keys for, the foreign keys were created properly, so some of this is working.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 2:27 PM
  • Now I've noticed that editing the database diagrams works once per SSMS session, then fails on subsequent tries. Closing SSMS enables any of the diagrams in either of my databases to be edited one time, then subsequent attempts to add or modify a diagram fail.

I'll give repairing the SQL Server instance a try over the weekend.

Friday, March 3, 2017 11:52 AM