Is System.Data.OracleClient.dll deprecated? RRS feed

• Question

• User-495795224 posted

I have a web application that has been using the System.Data.OracleClient.dll for the past 3 years. Recently we've been having some performance issues on the database server and it appears that this app is now causing problems when connecting to our Oracle database.

I've found an updated client at the Oracle website: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/index-085163.html

My question is: Is it necessary for me to update to this new client?

We are running Oracle 11g on 64-bit servers in a cluster.

The app is running on a Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit machine using ASP.NET 4.0. The app was built using Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite on a 32-bit machine. It was re-compiled on a 64-bit machine and imported into Visual Studio 2010 Professional in order to switch the target framework to .NET 4.0. Then it was deployed to the server. This basically updated the Web.config file for us, the rest of the site remains the same as before.

All suggestions and thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

Friday, November 12, 2010 3:06 PM

All replies

• User-2110079211 posted

There are two kinds of Oracle provider for .NET. One from Microsoft and the other from Oracle (ODP.NET). I would suggest download the latest ODP.NET and make some changes to your data access code ( because the objects and Commands are little different for ODP.NET when compared to Microsoft Oracle .NET provider ) 

I have used both in the past, and ODP.NET gave me better performance than Microsoft Oracle data provider.

Friday, November 12, 2010 3:31 PM
  • User-495795224 posted

I'm pretty sure I got the System.Data.OracleClient.dll from Oracle, but I could be wrong. It's been a few years.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Monday, November 15, 2010 4:24 PM